Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:31:47 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: d24t volkswagen diesel
Comments: To: Timmy Evens <monkey_lips@YAHOO.COM>

Hi, yes I am familiar somewhat with that engine. two volvo versions ( it's a truck VW inline six diesel btw ) volvo 240 .............non-turbo. volvo 740 ......TD. Same piston and rod as 1.6 I think.. making each cylinder 400cc...thus 2.4 liters in this inline six diesel.

sounds like something is not right about the cooling system or the engine.

They have a 'cracked heads' reputation from what I have heard. I think they are a real bitch to work on . I would expect ..or look for.., the tachometer to get a signal from a 'W' terminal on the alternator.

I would never recommend that someone get one. they are all either dead, or available for cheap , generally speaking.

and smoke .. no healthy diesel should smoke very much.

On one I helped get running for a buddy once.. we had to tow it in gear to get it cranking enough to finally fire up ( wouldn't start o the starter no matter what ) .. man did that tired thing smoke !!

if it's 5K on a rebuild and it smokes much .. and it runs hot under load .. like how hot does it get ? like 3/4ths on the gague and you believe the gauge is working right ( check actual temp of engine and hoses with an IR temp gun ) ...

it has either ...an engine issue .. fuel injection pump or injectors issue.. or something wrong in the systems that support the engine .. like if the radiator is 20 yrs old.. that part is suspect. On a 740 TD I took care of for a number of years.. one day the plastic neck at the top of the rad for the top rad hose.. just broke off. fwiw.

helps if you say what year and model .. whatever is being asked about. Makes people have to ask if it's the NA or TD version . or talk about both.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Timmy Evens" <monkey_lips@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2011 7:46 PM Subject: d24t volkswagen diesel