Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:04:55 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Strange diesel question
Comments: To: ralph meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

that's a 'strange' question all right. No harm in asking though !

no, no, and no. Others have pointed out details about it .. but not even close, let's say. I 'suppose' in an extreme emergency like to get back from deepest patagonia and that's all you ahd to work with ...a big, big 'maybe' .. what are you trying to accomplish?

you have a trashed 1.6 head now ? you're looking for more performance out of your 1.6 NA ? I would say dont' even try ...but move upscale in the lineage of 1.6 TD, 1.9NA, 1.9TD and so on.

the 1.7 ..so far I have not seen one. what you want is a 1.9 to start with. Since 1.9 NA pistons are near impossible to get .. I'm buidling a 1.9 NA 1Y engine code using AAZ rods and pistons .. that should make a turbo block .. and we'll run it NA .. should be very durable. and I have people in canada telling me they are throwing away AAZ engines practically. and .. since they need a real going through anyway half the time lately .. I'd be happy to start with a standard bore but very tired 1.9NA or AAZ block . the head.. you practically want to start with a new one of those anyway .. the heads last about half the life of the bottom end anyway.

usually the question would be, will a 1.9 head fit on a 1.6 block .. I hear they will not. you really need either a 1.6 TD block to start with ( or block and head ) or 1.9. I have one still runs 1.6 TD block I'd sell.

they're a lot better with some decent power. the stock 1.6 NA is dangerous bascially. People are confused when the poor thing takes a half block to get to 30 mph.

scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "ralph meyermann" <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 7:21 AM Subject: Strange diesel question