Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:41:30 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Secret tune-up / service item on 1.9 waterboxer engines.
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

No one knows about this .. evidenty. not even shops that install 1.9 waterboxer engines for 6,000 dollars.

not even shops or techs that change spark plugs and plug wires, and distributor caps.

perhaps it's becasue people did not cut their teeth gabbing points and lubing the points cam ( *another* very important tune-up service item usually neglected ) and checking that the centrifugal advance works..

which is what 1.9 waterboxer distributors use.. they have old fashioned mechancial control of the timing curve .. how the timing advances with rpm and load . there's the vaccum unit on the side . and .. guess what !! .. under the distributor rotor is a felt pad. that pad is not for use as an emergency ear plug.. it's there to hold oil.. you put a few drops on it .. it keeps the centrifugal advance mechanism lubed.

I constantly work on 1.9 wbxr vanagons .. I have YET to see one with that felt pad oiled. heck.. most of the time the rotor is stuck on from never being removed .. to lube that felt pad.

i mean ....if they put the feature on the car .. there must have been a reason !

I am so very old fashioned.. I just service things and take care of them and they last forever nearly. the 'modern way' apparently.. is just use it and neglect it, then replace it. not even rewarding at all in my world.

there is nothing like a smoothy working mechaism. got a 'new' 84 in the other day .. in the entire last 15 or 20 years.. no one ...absolutely no one, not the shops doing service on it, not the owner.., no body .. had enough brains to take 14 seconds and spray lube the sliders and mechanims on the sliding door.

it was totally ..........sccceeerch .....just awful how come .. home come is it .. that that van had to find it's way to me for someone to spend 3 seconds spraying lube at a part just crying loudly for lube ???? are people that dumb ? you can spend 7,000 dollars at fancy-vanagon-shop.com on an engine . and they won't install it right really .. and they sure ..............eveidently .. won't check if the tail lights are working. or shoot a shot of spray lube at a bone dry screetching mechansim. How can anyone do that ????

I'll say one thing .. the vans do incredibly well for the near complete non-service and care so many of them get...or don't get I mean.

And so worth taking care of - vanagons. and we are not talking rocket sceince. oil things for gosh sake ...it's so rewarding !

man...... ..people ask 'what' to use .. since the vans get 1000 % 'nothing' normally .. 'anything' would be a vast improvement....if it is any sort of metal lubricant. it hardly matters WHAT is used.. just that SOMETHING is . becuse hundreds of mechanisms on vanagons are getting zero lubrication, based on all the ones I see. it's a joke.. a 'spiritual crime' really ..if one cares about taking care of things. people brush their teeth and shampoo their hair don't they ? what is so hard about a little shot of spray lube on a sliding door slider ? I guess it is just not in many people's consicousness.. not even professional shops , quite often, sad to say.