Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:42:37 -0700
From:         Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      head studs - a post mortem

So to continue beating the tawdry tale of a broken head stud...(lower #3 to be precise), I went to visit the mechanic who redid my heads a couple years back to show him the broken stud as he was very interested in the problem when it occured last week. I had a different place repair the van due to the tow charge and proximity of the break-down. Anyway, the mechanic was very surprised to see the break 1/3 from the top of the stud. In his experience they usually snap further down the stud and not so high up. He also showed me a case of a 2.1 and pointed me to the studs on it. Every stud was pitted and rusty and looked pretty bad compared to the stud I had...which really looked brand spanking new by comparison. In fact the stud which broke, is uniformly black and you can feel and see the minute notches around the diameter of the shaft from when the part was machined - your thumb nail vibrates if you scratch the stud length wise between both sets of threads.

Anyway I don't see too many blocks, motors, components, etc, to know much about these parts when they fail or what things typically look like. I do know now about the condition of which some studs can look like due to corrosion and overheating. This one certainly did not look like it was poorly treated throughout its mechanical life.

BT