Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:07:34 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: How do you when your springs need to be replaced?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Not sure where to start Don. I could talk about the difference between what I call 'linear driving' .. that's just driving around a corner, rear wheels following along nicely ..

and what I call dynamic driving .. where both ends of the vehicle are 'doing something.'

In real performance driving the car 'rotates' ...about a point roughly in the middle..or a little aft of center.. and the driver keeps the car rotating with inputs of ( rear wheel drive we're talking here ) of power.. and keeps the car lined up with the corner .. it's not 'linear' ..it's dynamic.

I mention motorcycles in a discussion on anything like this ..since motorcycles are 'very ready' to have directional input and control with engine power acting on the rear wheel.

you'll notice btw..that ALL or the vast majority of rear wheel drive performance vehicles had very dedicated front and rear tires, whether motorcycles, dragsters, Indy cars ( they once did ) and Formula 1 cars.. when tires were 'free' ..run whatever seemed.. in the 80's the rear tires of Formula 1 cars where massively larger than the fronts.

the front and rear tires of any rear wheel drive 2WD vehicle have vastly different jobs.

I could say 10 times as much. right now I'll just say .. I have about 7 running vanagons ...good ones.. and at least 100 mounted and balanced tires .. so I get to try out a LOT of tire combinations on 2WD vanagons .. and I've mentioned .. maybe I haven't ..I have been dabbling in performance rear wheel drive driving since 1964.. and if ten times 100,000 miles is a million.. then I've probably driven 2 million miles, raced in the first Mexican 100 Off Road Race in Baja California in November 1967. There's a paragraph and small picture of my car in the Feb 68 issue of Hot VW's and Dune Buggies ...a 56 Chevy, 305 V-8...........the biggest valve heads that are factory that fit on that engine .. big carb, cam, and 6 forward gears. I have a picture of me power sliding it at 60 mph on a dirt Baja pubic highway. and I'm killer on snow and ice .. believe me .. I don't say anything I don't truly think is correct.. if I have doubts , I say 'I believe' or whatever.. trust me, I know what I am talking about in rear wheel drive vehicle handling dynamics,

and they are true Sports Sedans..having the same suspension type as Mercedes cars of the era. For those that don't know .. those are extremely well behaved and excellently handling vehicles.. you can flat through a common 1982 240D Mercedes sedan violently into a 60 mph sweeper full of pot holes.. and the car won't care .. it just goes where you point it .. and so stability ..that it doesn't matter what you do with the gas or the brakes.. totally unflappable. and vanagons use the same suspension type.

and of course ..vanagon is a bigger box.. and the nuances of slightly better straight line tracking, good 'turn-in' and cornering stability are masked some..but they are there.

Drive 'em like they are a greyhound bus or truck if you want.. but there is much better handling to be had with vanagons and their truly sporty suspension than most people realize. I doubt many vanagon owners even know what it is .....or can heel and toe downshift diving into a corner.

hell..if you want to read a blurb about dynamic vehicle handling ... I'll just tell you ....road and Track mag tested an Tesla pure electric built on a Lotus chassis ... against the same Lotus, just gas version . I found it very interesting that they said you couldn't get the EV's front end to bite by chopping the power abruptly going into a corner, which helps the car get the idea about changing direction .. no weight transfer there..that the driver would induce intentionally to help set the car up for the corner and get going in right.. so the Electric was at a handling disadvantage there .....it doesn't slow down hard when the go pedal is released abruptly ....... there are LOTS of inputs involved in dynamic driving ...the steering wheel is just one .. my point is .. vanagons have rather decent suspension.. and they can respond, when set up right ..to a tiny bit of dynamic driving input .. generally ...any rear wheel drive car corners better under power ..I'm sure you've noticed. That's the kind of thing I am talking about .. and vanagons do respond that way ..it's just harder to tell than it would be in say .. more powerful rear wheel drive car . But it's there.

long enough. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:23 PM Subject: Re: How do you when your springs need to be replaced?