Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 2011 17:47:20 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Strange Herd behavior..

I wonder if it isn't ignorance of what's available, and that people think they're safer from marauding biker gangs, supremecy groups and wild mountain men. You can drive up the road by the Kern River here in the middle of the summer and the developed campgrounds will be completely full. Some of those "campsites" are just spots with a fire pit where the smaller rocks have been cleared out between the larger boulders, and nary a tree for 50 feet in any direction (which is important considering the temps there often exceed 100F). There are three or four campgrounds in which the entire campground is like that; pavement and rocks. Those sites are $18 a night, plus an $8 per night reservation fee at Reserve America (I hate that company), if one "reserves" a site.

A little farther up the river you can find free dispersed campgrounds. Some of them have dumpsters and portable outhouses at one end, some of them have nothing at all but the fire pits (but you could walk or take a quick drive to one of the former, if you wanted to). We tent camp out of a pax van, and we have a system worked out where we can go five days without "support", as it were. All you need for the dispersed sites is a fire permit and a porta-potti in some cases. Many of them are completely empty; every once in a while you'll actually find 3-4 families, maybe a couple of those in travel trailers.These are maybe five miles up the road from the crowded campgrounds that can cost up to $182/week.

We know of one very nice developed campground about 18 miles up from the main ones that has vacancies at any time, especially in the middle of the week. We unfortunatley don't feel comfortable being that isolated any more because of my health issues, but the family loved it. We were once the only people in the entire campground (which can be kind of weird) on a Monday in August. These people came in and drove the entire loop, then came back around to where we were. They settled in the site one over from us. I really think they would've moved in next door if I hadn't been standing there watching them. An entire empty campground of very nice sites and they had to be right next to us. Weird. Cya, Robert

'87 & '86 Auto GLs