Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Aug 2011 21:14:14 -0700
From:         Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Here's a new scam...
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net>

Yeah... I've been getting those for years as well. Yours is better worded than most of the ones I get.

A lot of those scams say they will have the shipment picked up by their shipping company. I've always wanted to pack up a bunch of rocks as their "shipment".

Cheers,

Jeff

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Hargrave [mailto:thargrav@hiwaay.net] Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 7:46 PM To: 'Jeff Schwaia'; vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: RE: Here's a new scam...

Yep, old scam - new market.

Being a on-line business with a lot of exposure, I get a minimum of one of these a day. I called the local FBI office about one of these a few years ago and they explained that they get hundreds of calls on this one from North Alabama alone.

So, here's today's latest directed at me:

" My name is FRED from FRED COLEAN STORE LTD,i will like to purchase some order from your store to our store here,but before i proceed to advise the needed items,i will like to confirm the terms of payment you accept either Visa or Master card, and if you do ship to Australia as well,urgent response needed from you asap,so i can forward you my order list.

Waiting to read from you soon.

Regards."

So, for those who don't know the scam works like this (with a little fishing analogy to help with the explanation):

You respond to the email -- This tells the scammer he has a "live one".

He sends you the order and it's a large one, usually several thousands of dollars. -- Your greed kicks in and you put your blinders on.

He also states that he will have his courier pick up the order -- The first sign of trouble, how can a paid courier be cheaper than UPS or FedEx? But remember you have your blinders on.

He also asks if and can he add the courier's cash payment to the order so that his courier can get paid right away. -- He set the hook.

If you balk he explains that the order is for thousands and the courier's payment is only in the hundreds. -- The second sign of trouble, if he hired the courier then why should you pay him in cash?

You confirm the order and he pays with a credit card. The credit card authenticates because the bad guys are using a hijacked card. -- He set the hook.

You pull the extra cash out of the bank to pay the courier. -- Now he's reeling you in.

The courier stops by, picks up his cash payment & the thousands of dollars in merchandise -- He's lifting you out of the water and you aren't even fighting!

That evening your merchandise goes on sale on eBay.

The next day your merchant company informs you through email that the card payment was rejected by the card holder's bank.

You frantically email & call and no-one's there.....

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com

Just got this email scam. A new twist on an old scam.

You gotta love the Enlish.

Cheers,

Jeff

---SCAM START---

Hello

This is Janet kush and i will like to speak with the owner or manager of the repair shop and i will like to know if you offer Bus repair and if you do ,I will like you to know that i just brought a used Bus on my way for my medical check up.it has no insurance and warranty. i will like it to be tow back to the state for the repair and i will like you to know that the Bus is with the tow driver and he will have it towed to your workshop for the repair ,so i will like you to know that i will want a general repair work and Maintenance repair,i need the transmission checked... oil.. change brakes and general maintenance done on it,so the Bus is a 1984 Volkswagen Bus, so if you can handle that for me I will like you to get back to me with your full name,Address and phone number and i will like to know if you are authorized to run a credit card ...becos i am yet to pay the shipper that will deliver the truck to your workshop because he does not have the facility to access a credit card..... so i will need a little favor from you in respect to that please so i will like you to get back to me soon if you can handle that for me .So what type of credit card you accept .So i will be expecting your email soon .

Janet kush