Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Aug 2011 17:46:51 -0400
From:         Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Rear Sliding window modificaiton - Success
Comments: To: Scott Greiner <greines@yahoo.com>

Scott,

thanks,

and answers to your questions 1) I'm not offering these 4 sale, these are a DIY effort and there are instructions on the website refrenced http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5480877#5480877

2) with this DIY method you can not make both pieces slide, this method modifies the stock vanagon middle sliding windows, and requires the dissassembly of 1 Westy & 1 passanger van middle slider in order to get 2 shorter pieces of glass needed to fit in the smaller rear corner opening.

3)My awning is a modified home unit that I bought from a discount center (Mr 2n'ds here in North east) that is mounted to a set of Utility racks sold from Pepboys, *note that my van is an ASI Riviera, and not a westfalia. which would require a completely differant custom rack mount. it is a self supporting 8x12ft crank out awning. I Don't have many good images handy of it at the moment.. here's 2 I have on the samba gallery http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/527521.jpg http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/526365.jpg

________________________________ From: Scott Greiner [greines@yahoo.com] Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 3:18 PM To: Daniel O Stevens Subject: Re: Rear Sliding window modificaiton - Success

Dan, Good jod. I have a couple of questions. 1) Do you sale these yet? 2) Xan you make it so both windows pieces slide? 3) do you have any info about your awning setup. Pic of it open. Looks great.

Scott Greiner Mesa, AZ

________________________________ From: Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Mon, August 1, 2011 9:02:42 AM Subject: Rear Sliding window modificaiton - Success

Thought I'd share with the group my latest modification.

Thread on The samba here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5480877#5480877

Success, and Canine approved.. maybe now Scout won't get banged up trying to put her head out the sliding door slider window. I made this to be installed backwards to allow the rearmost section to slide, trying to keep Scout to the rear cushion while travelling. If being made for rear passenger comfort, then make the window to slide in the front half.. *Note the new 3seams on the leading edge where OE has just the middle. The cuts & shortening MUST be done on the fixed piece to securely retain the frame & glass in the groove. *Note next time I'll move the new upper&lower seam a little more central to the fixed window. http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/833612.jpg

Hardboard underlay spacer to fit into Glass groove in Rubber window seal http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/833615.jpg

Thin Stainless steel sheet overlay to protect the MDF hardboard backer, left straight edge along the frame, This does allow a little of the lower curve to show, but the Glass rubber will cover that. http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/833614.jpg

Inside view of the MDf hardboard backer in installed window http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/833613.jpg

Note that none of the MDf is visible, but I did seal the SS edge with silicone to prevent seepage. http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/833616.jpg

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/833611.jpg

I found these paint can openers VERY handy for installing the new frame, They allowed me to slip it in between the frame and the lip and pull the rubber seal flap a little (1/8in) at a time.. Was slow progress but any progress leads to success. I would slip in with the hook away from rubber, then twist 180* and use hook to pry/pull small lip of rubber over body frame lip.. http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/646/paint-can-opener.jpg

Dan Stevens VW Club of Central NY Annual All VW Show & Campout August 14th Oneida Shores Park Brewerton, NY 13029 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=473168