Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:35:54 -0400
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Radiator Fan Resistor Available at Van-Again
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

I would be inclined to call it a 3-terminal device. 3 wires thru one connector. The resistor is between the fan connector and the actual motor, apparently within the housing of the fan.

Larry A. '91 with AC, testing my second try at repairing a fan resistor

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > So . . . all this time that I've been reading about the elusive rad fan > resistor and thinking to myself "I better get one-a these for me fer a > spare" I was looking at a situation that doesn't apply to my van. > > Bentley page 97.59 suggests that the fan on my model year is a > two-terminal device, with wires 1 and 2 going into it from the high side > and wire 3 going to ground. These two wires are fed by two switches, RAD > FAN THERMO SW 1 and RAD FAN THERMO SW 2. > > Wire 1 has a rectangular symbol on it, which looks to my eyes like the > German schematic symbol for a resistor on it. > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > Bend, Ore. > 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. > 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in > San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia. > > Sent from my kitchen. > > On 08/09/2011 06:34 PM, Ken Wilford wrote: >> >> Mr. Rocket, >> the 1.9ls don't use this resistor. Actually I am not sure how they get >> their low speed. I suspect the resistor is built into the fan itself >> since there are three prongs on the fan and the schematic doesn't show a >> resistor on the system. The early fans are much less powerful than the >> late ones and don't draw as much current. The earlier ones seem to last >> longer, however the early engines seem to run hotter (just a seat of the >> pants observation). So as they say at the beginning of the HItch hikers >> Guide to the Galaxy, "Don't Panic!" >> Unless you have a 2.1l with AC :-) >> >> Ken Wilford >> John 3:16 >> www.vanagain.com >> >> >> On 8/9/2011 9:06 PM, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >>> >>> Ken's website shows the 251971284H as being for 86-92 Vanagons w/ AC. >>> What should those of us with 1.9L non-AC Vanagons look for. Mine has not >>> failed, but if this is a tough to find part, it behooves me to keep an >>> eye out for a spare. >>> >>> -- >>> Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott >>> Bend, Ore. >>> 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. >>> 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer from a defunct company in San >>> Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia. >>> >>> Sent from my kitchen. >>> >>> On 08/09/2011 10:12 AM, Ken Wilford wrote: >>>> >>>> Dear List, >>>> >>>> Just want to give the list a heads up on the state of the low speed >>>> resistor for the Vanagon radiator fan. As many of you know this is the >>>> large resistor that looks like a roll of nickles and lives behind the >>>> driver's side headlight. This resistor allows the low speed of the >>>> radiator fan to come on for all Vanagons from 86-91 with AC. The part >>>> number is 251971284H >>>> If this resistor fails it can cause only the high speed fan to come on >>>> at a higher temperature than normal. This can put added strain on the >>>> cooling system and even lead to the van overheating. Also if it fails >>>> it can cause problem with the air conditioning system not functioning >>>> properly. You can test to see if your low speed fan is working pretty >>>> easily. Just turn the ignition on and then turn the AC on at the >>>> temperature switch. The low speed fan should come on immediately. If >>>> it doesn't then most likely this resistor is bad. >>>> >>>> The resistor has been discontinued by VW a couple of years ago. I was >>>> getting them from Germany but that route dried up as well. Now there is >>>> no source of the original one available at the moment. We have an >>>> alternative unit that looks the same as the OE one, is from the same >>>> manufacturer, works the same, the only real difference is the plug that >>>> plugs into the electrical system is different so you have to cut the >>>> wiring off of your old unit and splice it on to the new one. These are >>>> available right now. I have about twenty. However the bad news is that >>>> these are now becoming scarce and I am not sure if I will be able to get >>>> any more in the future or if I do they may be even more expensive. My >>>> point is that if you have an 86-91 Vanagon and your resistor is bad you >>>> definitely want to get one now. However if you have never had a problem >>>> with this resistor, you might want to buy one now as a spare. >>>> >>>> I have been selling them to folks who are searching for them on-line and >>>> soon they will all be gone. I am not worried about selling them. I am >>>> concerned that there are folks on this list that are looking for them >>>> and can't find one or will be caught off guard by this issue. >>>> >>>> I just wanted to give you a heads up on this problem. If anyone is >>>> interested please pmail me off list. >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Thanks, >>>> Ken Wilford >>>> John 3:16 >>>> www.vanagain.com >>>> Phone: 856-327-4936 >>>> Fax: 856-327-2242 >>> >