Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:18:57 -0700
From:         Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Follow-Up: Under-Sink Battery Installation

At 07:48 AM 8/10/2011, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >I am surprised that you cannot see the refrigerator, though ... What >is the current consumption spec for your Engle reefer?

I wasn't looking very closely. GoWesty says 0.7-3.6 amps. Engel says 0.7-2.5 amps. They don't say whether that's average or continuous, but I assume it's continuous, in which case I'm not sure why it should vary so much. The compressor works harder at first, when the refrigerant is warm?

http://www.engel-usa.com/mt45_u1.html

>>I bought a fusible link kit from B&C Specialty Products, but I >>haven't put it together yet. > >My aux battery monitor's ammeter shunt is connected between the >battery - terminal and van frame, so no fusing is needed ... if the >ammeter portion of the meter has its own two dedicated wires for >connecting to the shunt you may want to move it to the ground leg.

Yeah, good point. I'm not sure why we put the shunt in the positive leg in aircraft. That's just how I was taught to do it. I'll ask some of my avionics guru buddies.

Here's that fusible link kit, by the way:

http://www.bandc.biz/fusiblelinkkit24-20awg.aspx

>>The voltmeter is powered at all times. I welcome your comments on >>whether it should be switched ... > >That's going to be difficult for anyone to answer without a link to >the specs for the meter.

Westach doesn't have a lot of tech info on their web site. They provide great tech support by phone. Or I can just measure the current directly.

>>It shows the alternator dumping about 9 amps into the battery. The >>voltage is relatively low, about 12.3 volts ... > >Yeah, you'll never get a full charge into the aux battery with >voltage that low. But have you checked the accuracy of the new >voltmeter by sticking a good voltmeter across the aux battery's terminals?

I have. And I'll go back and carefully measure the voltage at the starter battery and the aux battery again. There's always room for improvement.

>>I wonder whether there's a way to run a big honkin' wire from the >>starter battery over to the aux battery relay? > >I did, so yes.

OK, so tell me more. I don't have a schematic, and the diagrams in the service manual are impenetrable. And I didn't completely understand the changes made by the GoWesty aux battery kit. They certainly didn't add any wires as large or direct as I'd like to see: I'd like 6 gauge, minimum, connected directly to the starter battery. (The starter battery's connection to the alternator was recently cleaned up by Van Cafe.)

So can I just run a 6 gauge wire from the starter battery to the terminal on the aux battery contactor added as part of the GoWesty kit?

And, yes, I'd still like to know whether I can drill into the low floor between the two battery compartments and fish wires through there. If so, I'd also fish the Pro-Sport's leads to the starter battery and the Engel's 12-volt leads through there. Those are currently out in the open, just waiting to get snagged.

Thanks!