Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Aug 2011 11:13:49 -0500
From:         Jaime Forero <jforero@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: AC cutting out momentarily
Comments: To: dvdclarksn@AOL.COM

Did you use the same gauge wire?? I am tempted to go to a heavier gauge wire for the wire going to the fusable link (well I really now have resettable fuse). Jaime -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of David Clarkson Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:12 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: AC cutting out momentarily

BTDT- the corrosion can cause increased resistance and pop the fusable link. This happened simultaneously with the meltdown of my trinary switch. I replaced several wires and connectors along with the switch and have had no other heat build up or meltdowns. This was still a very easy project as vanagon AC projects go. One of many over about 2-3 years of troubleshooting the AC in my rig. In the end it was all worth it as I have had 34 deg. vent temps once the system really gets going good.

David Clarkson 90 Westy-cool running!

-----Original Message----- From: Gregory Smith &lt;gfs@GREGORYFSMITH.COM&gt; To: vanagon &lt;vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&gt; Sent: Fri, Aug 12, 2011 3:02 pm Subject: AC cutting out momentarily

I was concerned about this after hearing from others about fires etc. in that area. Mine still had the fuse (fusible link?) but it got too hot to touch when in use. The connections were slightly corroded and one was loose. I carefully cleaned the contacts and wahsers with 600 grit sandpaper and reassembled tightly. As a n extra precaution I drilled a tidy pattern of vent holes in the cover panel below and above this area. Still is pretty hot, but I think it is much cooler than before.

Gregory Smith

Smith Design Studio Small Building Company Olympia, WA 360-239-0429 gregoryfsmith.com

-------- Original Message -------- Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:02:06 -0500 From: jaime forero &lt;jforero@SBCGLOBAL.NET&gt; Subject: Re: AC cutting out momentarily

Hi in my case I have found that on very hot days and after 20-25 minutes = of operating on high speed, 4 on the knob, the wire in the D pillar before = the fuse that feeds juice to the fan gets hot and trips the fuse. A while = back the original fuse got so hot that it basically melted the plastic holder = so I replaced it with a resettable fuse. The interesting thing is that the wires after the fuse going to the fan do not get very hot. I think my problem has to do with fans getting older and drawing more amps than = normal in high speed. Any suggestions?? Should I replace the wire that gets = hot with next gauge wire?? All other speeds, 3,2,1 work just fine.=20

_________________ Jaime Forero jforero@sbcglobal.net Siempre Adelante!!!