Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:23:54 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Under-Sink Battery Installation
Comments: To: Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>

My response to hydrogen tsurris is to consider that if the cabinet were filled with water and the van upside down, the water would find plenty of ways to pour out. Hydrogen "falls" up toward the ceiling and would escape through the same passages. Unless you're charging a bank of submarine batteries there would not be much of it and what there is would escape through the fabric of the poptop as easily as water passes through chicken wire. So generally speaking, in my mind there is not much to worry about.

Like my aux battery, a honking but 130 A/h Trojan deep cycle, which lives under the bench seat. That's hardly an airtight compartment. Any hydrogen that bubbles out vents right out of the seat up to the poptop and out to freedom! I don't think I'm running a risk.

But under the sink . . . the hydrogen leaking upward would pass right next to sources of ignition, like the switch contacts in the faucet, and the stove burners.

It might be dangerous. You go first.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott Bend, Ore. 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer from a defunct company in San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westralia.

Sent from my kitchen.

On 08/09/2011 10:11 AM, Steve Williams wrote: > At 08:38 AM 8/9/2011, Loren Busch wrote: >> Since that battery is not sealed do you have any concerns about out >> gassing or vapors from the battery? > > The SRM-29 doesn't have any filler caps or a drain nipple, so I'm not > sure what the risk is. Tell me more? > > Anyway, that space is no more enclosed than any other in the car, > such as under the rear seat. Did you do anything special in your > installation deal with venting?