Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:36:11 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bottom-filling water tank
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

---- Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > > On 08/16/2011 05:33 PM, mcneely4@cox.net wrote: > > ---- Rocket J Squirrel<camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > >> This morning I thought to connect the fitting to a drinking > >> water-grade hose and then to my house's hose bib, using a > >> female-to-female hose thread adapter. Turn on the hose bib, open > >> the ball valve and the tank fills in about 60 seconds. Me likee. No > >> noodlage. > > > > sounds great. However, how do you know when the tank is getting > > full, unless you have the tank top off (see all the attendant > > inconveniences above)? > > There is this red-yellow-green lamp thing on the stove. This first trial > run of the bottom feed method. Once the light hit green (in a > surprisingly short amount of time) I did open the tank to make sure the > lamps were getting it right. Looks like once the green lamp comes on, > something like another 10 or 15 seconds gives a pretty darn full tank. > > > > And, isn't there back pressure (again, unless > > you have the tank top off). Oh, for that, just open the freshwater > > fill inlet on the side. Allows venting. do you just let 'er run > > until water runs out the inlet? Seems a reasonable thing to do, now > > that I consider all of the situation. > > I thought there might be back pressure but the tank filled right up > without any alarming whistling sounds of air escaping under high > pressure or anything. Note that I didn't have the top off until I saw > the green light. > > The inlet is higher than the top of the tank, isn't it? The top of my > tank is not fully sealed (old grommets, etc., which might be why I > didn't have a backpressure problem) and I've had it overflow down into > the side and cabinet so I try not to let it get 100% full.

If the inlet were not higher than the tank, it would not work adequately to fill the tank. But, if any seals or connections at the top leak, then using the inlet as an overflow indicator would result in water inside the cabinet and possibly in the van walls. Hmmm...... . But when I filled from the inlet, no leaks, so the method should work without leaks and the inlet could serve as a full indicator.

Boy, I sure don't like using the inlet. In fact, I no longer do. I'll try your method, thanks for posting it.

mcneely > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > Bend, Ore. > 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. > 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in > San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia.

-- David McNeely