Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:37:35 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Stranded... Still... One problem to another
Comments: To: Andrew Forward <andrew.forward@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Andrew,

Can you bump start it? Not possible with an automatic but it's easy if your bus is a manual.

Push it to get it rolling maybe 5 mph, turn the key to on, put the clutch in, put it in second gear and briefly release the clutch to spin the engine. Two people should be able to push a loaded westy fast enough to bump start on level, paved roads. A hill makes it a lot easier.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario Canada 197x Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop (ND Graphics graphics wrap) 1988 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop (Colleen's ride) Engine conversion blog: http://www.pottsfamily.ca/wordpress/ www.pottsfamily.ca

BUSES OF THE CORN - AUGUST 12-14th, 2011 www.busesofthecorn.ca

On 8/20/2011 4:38 PM, Andrew Forward wrote: > Hey Vanagon guru's. > > I have been slowly working through issues with my Van. Thanks to Zoran > who helped me out with an ECU. I had an old non bosch ta ecu that was > causing all sorts of grief. I replaced that, then came fuel pump > issues that after hours of troubleshooting was resolved. Now I come to > what was a poor starter motor to a dead starter motor. The starter is > the bosch sr 19x and is only a few years old. Waiting to install a > newer harness from Zoran to try and eliminate wiring harness issues > > Anyone know how to get it started when its completely seized? Hammer? > > My track record is one tow truck worthy issue for every trip we take > outside of the city. Any Calgarian list members who can recommend an > affordable vanagon mechanic? Tony's seems good but too busy and > expensive to do a good PM overhaul.