Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:24:26 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      TJ Hannink does it again! Throttle Switch Adjustment

For me, this was so good, I just had to share.

Tim Hannink came over again this past Thursday, this time to rescue me from myself. The issue was the throttle body and how to adjust the throttle switch.

After overhauling my AC system, and resetting the idle speed, the engine didn't run right. Past e-mails from many - Dennis Haynes, Scott Daniel, and others - all said to check and if necessary adjust the throttle switch before doing much else. Well, it got done in the process, and sure enough the switch was not set right. Anyway - If the throttle switch was right, then most other things will follow. Well, I read the Bentley, and I read the Haynes, and I read the VW Digifant Service Manual. It just didn't come through to me how to do this. It just looked like a big bugger-bear problem that I could screw up somehow. That switch is mounted UNDER the throttle body and surrounded by a lot of stuff - hard to get at. Well - Tim Hannink to the rescue.

While I watched, hoping to learn, Tim removed the air filter box, the AFM, disconnected all the hoses to the AFM and from the idle stabilizer valve, disconnected other things attached to the throttle body, and in less than 5 minutes had the throttle body exposed so that all that was left were the two attaching screws holding the throttle body to the engine. The screws were loosened, and the throttle body was out. It was nasty with grease, oil, and road grime and dirt. The throttle switch was removed from the throttle body, and with a scoop of the hand into a can of GOJO hand cleaner, a gob of cleaner was smeared around and it the throttle body, and it was given a serious scrub using a toothbrush. In just a few minutes all the corruption was emulsified and was wiped away, using rags leaving the throttle body very clean. After cleaning the throttle switch was reattached, and using the allen set screws, the upper and lower limits for the switch were set up using the ear - listening for the slight click when contact was made or broken. No feeler guage was used, though one could. Once the contacts were set, the set screws were tightened, the throttle body re-installed in reverse order. After re-assembly, the engine was started and ran perfect! With one exception which I will address further down. I could not ask for better running. Big KUDO's to Tim for this one!!

My point in writing all this is (1) to publicly thank Tim for his help for showing me how to do this in a quick and easy way and (2) to say that all of us who own Vanagons should know how to do this. These vans are unique vehicles, and those who truly know how to work on them are few and far between, and getting fewer. The throttle switch adjustment is extremely important, is as easy as falling off a greased log (well, almost) and therefore each of us should know how to do it. It isn't hard.

Finally, to the remaining issue. Even though we went through every step, When the idle stabilizer valve connector is connected to the ISV, the engine over revs. Disconnect it, and rpm drops back to normal. Tim nor I could figure this one out. If anyone might have a suggestion about this, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

John

This is a repost, since Gerry went down and it didn't get posted.

I went back and read what Dennis Haynes recently said about why the engine will over speed. I have not had a chance yet to check voltage from the Temp II sensor, but if that is wrong the ECU will attempt to speed the engine. Got a little more checking tp do then. Love the way it runs, though, without the ISV in the circuit

John

-- John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com