Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:40:42 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Intermittent charge [solved]

'Twas bad brushes.

So thar I wuz, getting no charge to the engine battery. Generator lamp on the dash lit, voltage on the voltmeter dropping. The symptoms were interesting.

1. The voltage didn't just drop to zero (as indicated by the voltmeter), but was sagging from 12.6V to 12.3 to 12.0 . . . clearly the battery was connected to the rest of the car, it just wasn't getting any help from the alternator.

2. It was intermittent -- sometimes the battery was getting charge, sometimes not. The intermittency didn't correlate with bounces in the dirt roads, so I doubted a bad wire connection. I figured (without Bentley at hand) that the only wire that could give these symptoms was the one between the alternator and the battery, but that wire was tight at both ends.

3. When the engine was running on battery, the voltage at the output of the alternator was battery voltage, not alternator voltage, i.e., I read 12.3, not 13.5 or whatever.

So the fading in and out of the charge light and the lack of voltage at the alternator output both led me to suspect either a failed voltage regulator or brushes. But voltage regulators are silicon-based life forms and if repairing consumer electronics teaches us anything, it's that when transistors fail, they don't come back. Ever.

But how about them brushes?

FORTUNATELY, I had a spare voltage regulator along. Unfortunately, as anyone who has tried to remove the voltage regulator while the alternator is on the (1.9L) engine can tell you, there is little clearance back there. I asked Mrs Squirrel to bring my little ratcheting right angle screwdriver with a slotted bit with her when she joined me.

But even for that squatty little screwdriver, there is insufficient room behind the alternator to get to the lower bolt on the voltage regulator. But if the alternator is loosened up enough, the belt dropped off, and the pivot bolt below loosened (but not removed, I could not see a way to get the pivot bolt's nut back on, could not get my fingers in there) the alternator flopped enough to let me pull the VR and guess what I found?

The brushes were worn down to less than 1/8th of an inch.

Popped in the new VR with its new brushes and Hey Presto! I had charge back. Mrs Squirrel thinks I am a genius.

<WORRYWART MODE ON>

How did these brushes get so worn? This is an aftermarket voltage regulator, one of them adjustable voltage ones. I purchased it in maybe 2005 and it can't have more than 10,000 miles on it. But the brushes are worn to a nub. Photo here:

<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IiR5jcW-0ymSTvUcICn8tBDgB3YXDmdwKaW5NVxuWL4?feat=directlink>

(Picasa is being weird about public/private links right now, I think you should be able to view this image.)

The one I used to repair the situation was the original one. It has to have 65,000 miles on it and its brushes were more like 3/8'' to 1/2'' long (no longer in front of me to look at).

So I don't understand how the new brushes got worn down so heavily, so quickly!

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott Bend, Ore. 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia.

Sent from my kitchen.