Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:28:00 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: is this MC rebuild kit for real?
Comments: To: Robert Downes <bobdownes@GMAIL.COM>

If you hone the cylinder until it's too over sized then the seals won't seal properly. Just remember, as you hone the cylinder you are removing metal and the ID is slowly getting larger.

My "rule of thumb" was if I could feel the corrosion depression with my finger it was trash because by the time I honed the cylinder enough to remove the corrosion the cylinder was too large. But a lot of corrosion will look like a light surface stain & when you run your finger over it you will feel the roughness but no depth. These are easily honed out.

Also, sometimes you will disassemble a cylinder and see no corrosion at all and these can be the toughest ones to decide to rebuild. And the reason why? Remember all of that very dark brake fluid you drained? The dark color came from iron & that iron was removed from the inside surface of your master cylinder and wheel cylinders. In other words, everything may looks smooth & perfect but it's not. Just because your master cylinder looks perfect does not mean it has not been eroded to over size. The water dissolved in your brake fluid & the oxygen it carried along has been eroding away at the inside of your master cylinder.

The real enemy is your brake fluid. DOT3 brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it loves to absorb moisture from the air & this is also why experts tell you to only fill from a sealed container. A sealed container has not started absorbing water yet while a open container that's been sitting on your shelf for 2 years may be 100% saturated with water. You may be creating a problem by filling from a open container!

There is a very simple & cheap solution to all of this. Use DOT4 brake fluid and change it often to keep the water out. But how often? I can tell you because a lot depends on local climate. But I can say that if your brake fluid is turning dark you aren't changing it often enough. I pull out the contents of the master cylinder of any car I'm working on and top off with DOT4 and except for master cylinders on recent purchases, I have not replaced one of my master cylinders in over 20 years.

The only one that has dark fluid is my 1977 Vette and no matter how often I change what's in the reservoir the fluid turns dark. But GM cars of that era have huge surface area compared to the fluid volume & I suspect the fluid is absorbing water very fast. I also believe that changing the Vette master cylinder is unavoidable.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com