Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:35:20 -0400
From:         Mark Dearing <VWBrain@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Converter thieves pass me by
Comments: To: thargrav@HIWAAY.NET

Because of the external location and the use of valuable precious metals including _platinum_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum) , _palladium_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium) , and _rhodium_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodium) , converters are a target for thieves. The problem is especially common among late-model _Toyota_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota) _trucks_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck) and _SUVs_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUV) , because of their high ground clearance and easily removed bolt-on catalytic converters. Welded-in converters are also at risk of theft from SUVs and trucks, as they can be easily removed._[20]_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#cite_note-19) _[21]_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#cite_note-20) Theft removal of the converter can often inadvertently damage the car's wiring or fuel line resulting in dangerous consequences. Rises in metal costs in the U.S. during recent years have led to a large increase in theft incidents of the converter,_[22]_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#cite_note-21) which can then cost as much as $1,000 to replace._[23]_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#cite_note-22)

they hit a storage lot for a car auction place around here and got 75 of t hem in one nite. just battery powered sawall and cut them out. some are bringingh big $$$ later mark d