Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:26:17 -0500
From:   John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:   Re: Mounting SA Grille Inner Lights
Comments:   To: killer.jupiter@gmail.com

Some concern has been expressed about vibration loosening up the screws and the lights getting out of alignment. This won't happen because there are four screws put in for each light. Only two screw holes are enlarged, leaving the other two exactly the size of the screw. Once those two screws are put in place, the light mount will not move. If there is any insecurity about this, then it is easy enough to put in another screw or two.

Since I did this, I have realized that I could have simply drilled a single hole - aligned with the factory holes but bigger in diameter - centered in both the upper and lower mount bracket, and used this to set the light in the right position, using the same concept of the screws being tight - but not so tight I could not move the light with some pressure from my fingers. Once in place, the grille is removed, the two screws tightened, and the existing factory holes in the frame used as a guide to drill new holes in the vehicle body. Once mounted, those two center screws could be removed. Doing it this way, the factory screw holes are not modified, but left intact.

But that whole business of trying to tape the lights in place to get the new screw holes right is anathema.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 8/22/2011 1:49 AM, Aristotle Sagan wrote: > You are not worried vibrations gonna knock them out of wack eventually? > > tim in san jose > > On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM, John Rodgers <inua@charter.net > <mailto:inua@charter.net>> wrote: > > I have finally gotten around to installing the VW South African > grille > on my van. When attempting to install the lights, I found the the > alignment issue to be a royal PITA!. > > On my van, I needed to drill new holes for the inner light mounts, > since > the old ones didn't match. To position the lights, they have to be put > in place, then the grille installed, the lights positioned, then the > lights held in position and the grille removed. Then the new holes > drilled. I've got news! Holding the lights so they don't move while > screwing around with that grille is almost if not outright impossible. > The light would move slightly every time, and then would be wonky > inside > the grille when the grille was again mounted. I had to find a way > around > this. > > The solution: > I set the lights in as near the correct position as possible, then > drilled one upper hole and one lower hole diagonally opposite. Next, I > dismounted the light, and drilled the holes in the mount that were > diagonally opposite to match those just drilled in the body. I then > remounted the lights. I installed a screw in each enlarged hole, and > snugged it down just ever so slightly. This put pressure on the > mount so > it would not move, yet not so tight that I could NOT move it. The > enlarged holes allowed me to move the light mount left and right, > up and > down just a little bit. I then mounted the grille, and with modest > finger pressure, positioned the light exactly in the center of the > grille light opening. The enlarged holes allowed me to do this. I > removed the grille, and the lights stayed put. I just tightened the > screws, then added the other two, and was done. > > This method was far easier than anything I saw described > elsewhere, and > the fact that two screws are through slightly larger holes in the > light > mount matters not a whit. One can always throw in an extra screw > here or > there if needed. > > Hope this helps someone else trying to mount the SA Grille Inner > Lights. > > John > > -- > John Rodgers > Clayartist and Moldmaker > 88'GL VW Bus Driver > Chelsea, AL > Http://www.moldhaus.com > > > > > -- > Where ever you are, there you be. Unless you're driving my van, in > which case, you ain't got there yet.