Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:19:57 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Bay Electrical Fire
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Try Jason at mtnhobit@aol.com I know he is parting out a low mileage digifant equipped van in NY. Seems to be a good guy to deal with.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] |On Behalf Of John Rodgers |Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:47 PM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Engine Bay Electrical Fire | | I have begun pulling the burned wiring harness that is in |the engine bay out of the vehicle. What a nightmare this is |going to be - replacing the thing. I split the cover of the |harness to see the extent of damage and all those wires are |burned - insulation melted and charred. Nothing salvageable. |The whole harness has to go. I haven't asked around yet about |a replacement. A couple of fine Volks have offered, but I'm |not there yet. It will be a few days. I'm planning to |photograph this effort for posterity for the list, in case |anyone else ever has to do it. Out of this effort already |comes this admonition - Inspect your engine bay today for |chafing, rubbing, vibrating, hoses, wires, etc. Be sure |nothing is touching something else unless it was intended that |way. Tie things off, add chafing strips, install plastic wraps |around plumbing, hoses and wires. You DO NOT want the trouble I've got. | |I confess - in my view, the WBX engines are as close to an |opposed cylinder aircraft engine as one can get without |flying. Lots and lots of wires, hoses, plumbing, cables, etc. |running everywhere. And it has all the same hassles. All that |rubbing, chafing, vibrating, cracking - same, same. Routinely |inspect your engine, same as a 50 and 100 hour inspection on |an airplane. Give it a thorough going over, write down all the |dings on a list, then go back and fix them, checking off the |list as you go. It's the only way. Airplanes have to have an |annual inspection where the machine is brought back up to as |near new as possible once a year. It's the law. Without it - |the license is not valid. Our Vanagons need that kind of |inspection as well. | |John | |-- |John Rodgers |Clayartist and Moldmaker |88'GL VW Bus Driver |Chelsea, AL |Http://www.moldhaus.com |----- |No virus found in this message. |Checked by AVG - www.avg.com |Version: 10.0.1392 / Virus Database: 1520/3852 - Release Date: |08/23/11