Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:45:55 -0400
From:   craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: Don't Leave Home Without Them: Hoses/Clamps
Comments:   To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

I sincerely disagree with the idea of replacing massive amounts of parts right before a trip. I'd much rather carry the new ones with me and run on the old ones. Reliability is EARNED, not purchased.

I've seen far to many parts come defective from new, or be installed with a simple mistake such as forgetting to tighten the hose clamp which results in serious problems. I would definitely carry an assortment of hose clamps up to 10'' (Ever have a muffler fall off?) as well as various pieces of regular hose and splices. I've more than once fixed a coolant issue with pieces I had on hand and filled up with whatever was available. I've run my WBX on Gatorade, River Water, and Green Tea before. As well as pieces of copper pipe, vaccuum cleaner hose, and self fusing tape.

Be weary of "FIXING" something right before you leave.

-Craig