Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:30:09 -0700
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator Brushes Wore Out Pretty Darn Quick
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com>

On 08/23/2011 09:11 AM, Jim Arnott wrote: > -----Original Message----- From: Rocket J Squirrel > I was concerned that if I removed > the nut so I could really get at the back of the alternator, my fingers > would not be able to get the nut back on in that cramped area. It's > pretty tight in there. Needlenose pliers? > > 13 mm box end wrench with a fold of electrical tape on one flat of the > nut to hold it into the wrench. Magnet on a stick to retrieve it when it > falls out. The second time you'll get it.

Yah, you and Karl are right, it's not that difficult. In a campsite many miles up a dirt road, I wasn't feeling so certain I could get it back on, or whether it might tumble down into the engine compartment or become at one with the pebbles and dirt under the van. Now that I'm in the driveway, it's easy peasy.

Helps to have an open-end 13mm wrench, too.

I pulled the alternator to inspect the slip rings. Someone here said they were brass (or brass colored) but mine appear to be shiny copper. They show no signs of pitting, though they are grooved in the direction of rotation, see photo

<https://picasaweb.google.com/j.michael.elliott/WestySVRBrushes?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPGts4P8w62IsgE&feat=directlink>

To my untrained eye, I see nothing that would grind down the brushes on the aftermarket adjustable voltage regulator. Perhaps it is as Scott said, "I have had an electronic adjustable voltage regulator wear out brushes in my personal turbo Volvo sedan in as little as 8,000 miles."

Unless I hear otherwise, I think I got me some junk brushes here.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott Bend, Ore. 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia.

Sent from my kitchen.