Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:27:09 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Sights in southern Germany,
              Was Re: Renting a VW Camper in Germany?
Comments: To: Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM>

Renting old VW vans is such a niche business so I doubt there would be many renters around. (Imagine the headaches dealing with maintaining a fleet of 20-30year old vehicles for use by 3rd party renters.) If you contact bus clubs in Germany they might know alternatives. I bought a VW Westy in Germany. Makes sense if you plan a longer stay. VW will also lease a new T5 camper for a medium to longer stay. Besides the auto related museums also consider seeing some of the natural and cultural sites. You are passing through and near some of the most beautiful landscapes in Europe in the foothills of the alps. Route near the alps from west to east: Rheinfalls, the waterfalls where the Rhine river exits the alps. Stein am Rhein Old preserved city just across the border in Switzerland. Mainau Castle and Garden on an island in Bodensee (lake Contance). Meersburg + its castle If you have time consider driving the small lakeside roads on the Swiss side of Bodensee (Especially from Stein am Rhein to Konstanz, then you can cross back and save time). The main road on the German side is pretty boring and away from the lake. Lindau (parking is difficult.) Neu Schwanstein castle Fuenfsee region SW of Munchen. Starnberg is the pace for the Uberrich, Herrsching on Ammersee is moderate with equally stunning views. There is a nice quiet camground with a restaurant on the south shore of Woertsee. Garmish Partenkirchen, Partnachklamm (a canyon you can walk) Technicher Museum in Munchen. Can spend days in there Autobahn 8 from Munchen towards Chiemsee has stunning views of the Alps (It was planned as a showoff of engineering combined with nature by the Nazi's) Chiemsee and its castle. A bit north: Altstadt Tuebingen ZKM in Karlsruhe (modern art museum including a VW bus as a centerpiece in one of their largest exhibits) Martin ----- Original Message ----- From: Andrew Martin <ramblinvan@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Cc: Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:49:19 PM Subject: Renting a VW Camper in Germany? My co-pilot and I are planning to visit Germany this fall.  Much to my surprise and delight, she has asked that we rent VW camper AND that we plan our rather short trip around these 4 locations. Westfalia Museum,  Rheda-Wiedenbrück Germany Volkswagen Auto Museum, Wolfsburg  Germany BMW Museum, Munich  Germany Daimler Benz Museum, Stuttgart Germany (Holey Underwear!) I found a friendly couple that rents campers: http://www.tour-europe.de/index.htm I would appreciate any and all feedback from other folks who have done this particularly anyone with direct experience with this camper rental company or good/bad experiences with others. p-mail please! Thank you. Andrew campahvan@gmail.com