Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:57:34 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van Died @ 70 MPH. Why? (Jetta conversion)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Hey Don.

My coolant temp sensor is a 2 in 1 set up; the sensor for the temp gauge and sensor that supplies "info" for ECU are in one housing.

I've bench tested 2 or 3 ECT sensors in a pot of water. 1 used "German", 1 new "German", 1 offshore. (China?) They all had similar resistances throughout the range of temps.

I've swapped the ECT (temp sensor) a few times with no change.

Given that I keep getting an ECT code, I have often wondered if coolant doesn't heat up more when van sitting, engine up to temp on hot day. Like there's an accumulative effect of block etc. heat causing the ECU portion of ECT sensor to send "info" that triggers a code. But. I would likely see the temp gauge swing higher up than normal when key turned to ign. on if the coolant became too hot at the sensor(s)

Neil.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: >   OK, this is dumb but have you checked your Temp II sensor?  When I hear > very low idle and hunting around at start up, and put that with hot weather > problems...Check that thing.... >   Don Hanson > >   What is an MIL?  Is it crucial to the vehicle, does it do something > important?  Do I have one?  Should I get one? > >

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly  http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"  http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines