Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Aug 2011 00:13:58 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: antifreeze leak?
Comments: To: Alfred Bagdan <abagdan@SHAW.CA>

If coolant disappears, and you are sure it's not leaking externally somewhere ... then it's using it internally ... i.e. it's going out the tail pipe.

ways to get tripped up .... a very small external leak onto a hot surface may never show ( though you should be able to smell it sometimes. ) possible to have a slightly leaking rear or front heater core ....coolant can disappear that way...and not be readily apparent as an external leak.

smell the exhaust ...see if it smells like coolant.

I hope you have changed that blue VW coolant about 5 times .. well, if it's since 1985 .......what is that ? ....24 years. I hope you changed the coolant 12 times in that period.

the blue is not 'better' really. what works is a 'good anti-frz' and a cup or so of water soluble oil ( machinist's cutting oil ) as a water pump lubricant and rust inhibitor at 50/50 mix water/a-frz. Conventional green works super fine, used this way, and changed every two years. It's not the exact anti-frz that matters so much .. it's have a good coolant mixture and not leaving it in there for years at a time. that flat works - the water soluble oil thing. Just a little.............cup or so for the whole van.

If the heads have not been off since 1985, I would be extremely nervous about that .. the corrosion .......on the head nuts, on the heads.

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Alfred Bagdan" <abagdan@SHAW.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2011 4:29 PM Subject: Re: antifreeze leak?