Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:17:37 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alternator Brushes Wore Out Pretty Darn Quick
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

Yes, the genuine AL33X is the only version I buy, in a Bosch box. I suggest the Van-Cafe one as I'm not sure what games Ron is playing with his part numbers. He sometimes uses other companies part numbers in ways that are confusing if not deceptive. If he is offering Rebuilt By Bosch parts but not telling the Official Bosch Rebuilt part number for the item then we can't be sure of exactly what we are ordering. Bosch uses their own specific numbers for their rebuilt items and AL33X is such a number. It is perhaps the most universal of the VW 90 amp alternators of the vintage covering our vans and many original Bosch longer part number versions are all replaceable by the AL33X unit.

WBX Vanagons can also use an AL27X instead as the distinctions are very minor at most. I wonder if the BD unit is one of those or if perhaps they don't care to specify since it could allow them to ship either the 27X or 33X as available? Either will work about the same for WBX but for my mixed fleet the 33X works with diesel tachs while the 27X often won't so I have standardized on the 33X for all.

Mark

Rocket J Squirrel wrote: > Thanks, Mark. > > I'm seeing "AL33X" (Van-Cafe, $115 + $73 core) or "025903023EX" > (Busdepot, same pricing). > > Both are described a "genuine Bosch Rebuilt units." This pretty much > what you're recommending? > > -- > Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott > Bend, Ore. > 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. > 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in > San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia. > > Sent from my kitchen. > > On 08/22/2011 04:03 PM, mark drillock wrote: >> In general, I have had the best experiences with Bosch parts sold as >> "Genuine Rebuilt" and in Bosch boxes.