Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:23:04 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alternator Brushes Wore Out Pretty Darn Quick
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

I doubt that you are a hapless idiot. Most don't check the skip rings or even know what to look for.

When you pull the regulator look into the opening the brushes protrude into and you will see two brass bars going across from that vantage point. Turn the alternator and it will be obvious that they are continuous rings.

You need to inspect the slip rings while turning the alternator shaft. The surface of the slip rings should not looked burned or be pitted.

Another list member mentioned a loose rear bearing. This is not likely the cause because a loose rear bearing will cause the rotor rub against the stator long before the misalignment causes a problem with the brushes.

BTW, I mentioned commutator before. DC motors & generators use commutators. Alternators are three phase AC that's rectified to DC.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.stir-plate.com www.towercooler.com www.kegkits.com

-----Original Message----- From: Rocket J Squirrel [mailto:camping.elliott@gmail.com] Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 9:15 PM To: Tom Hargrave Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Alternator Brushes Wore Out Pretty Darn Quick

On 08/22/2011 05:58 PM, Tom Hargrave wrote: > Fast alternator brush wear is almost always caused by burned or > pitted commutator rings. > > Did you check them when you replaced the regulator or did you just > change out the regulator?

Well, as I wrote, I was in a campsite and didn't have confidence that I could get ahold of the forward nut of the alternator pivot bolt in the bracket. So, no, I did not inspect the commutator rings and, for that matter, don't know how.

> Most just change the regulator& then blame the regulator when the > brushes fail in a few months or weeks.

I sure don't want to be in that category of hapless idiot. I am my own category, the worrywart idiot, and now I need to address the worn commutator possibility.

Can anyone explain how, and what to look for?

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott Bend, Ore. 1984 Westfalia. A poor but proud people. 1971 "Ladybug"-brand utility trailer ca. 1972 from a defunct company in San Clemente, Calif., now repurposed as The Westrailia.