Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 23 Aug 2011 15:21:04 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Bay Electrical Fire
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Very good advise there John,

I don't think you'll find the wiring harness actually that bad to deal with .. once you get past the ugliness of it. I got one nice 87 GL with an engine fire. The main bundle coming aft for gauges, tail lights, ignition voltage, etc.. is on the left ....on top of the frame , forward of the firewall. About 20 wires there in a bundle. That part wasn't burnt, so I cut there.. and spliced on a good used rear wiring harness and that worked just fine.

the fuel injection ..that is a separate harness of course.. usually you will just get a complete good used one. It's basically a simple plug n' play deal.

there is only one part of all the wiring at the rear of a vanagon that does not just unplug or unscrew. That's where license plate wire or wires go through the body right above the license plate lights. Looks to me that in production..........they ran a wire or wires though a hole, then crimped on a connector .. and it won't withdraw back out through the hole it goes through .. that wire or wires, you need to cut. But all the rest of it ..either bolt/screw connection, or plug-on connector ...or relay socket that should be on the new used harness. All pretty nice to deal with actually.

It really helps to have another similar van to look at btw !! that would vastly reduce the 'mystery' factor for you. have fun ! Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:46 PM Subject: Engine Bay Electrical Fire