Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:52:31 -0400
From:         Daniel O Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      FYI - upcoming VW events in the Upstate NY (syracuse & beyond)
              region

We have a large group of active Vanagon owners in our region of Upstate New York and I know there's others out there who may not know about our activities. I do apologize to those out here on the list who have little or no benefit from within our region, so please bear with me. But being a list subscriber for 8+ years, I've waded thru a lot of other regional event & activity emails. Thought someone out here may appreciate an invite to our events.

The VW club of Central NY (VWCCNY)and The Empire VW camping club would like to pass along this FYI of some upcoming VW based events for those who may be interested.

If anyone here is in the region, or wishes to catch us during one of our vanagon camping trips please don't hesitate to contact me Dan Stevens dan@vwccny.com<mailto:dan@vwccny.com>

The VWCCNY end of summer events updates

Today August 22nd (6-8pm) is the VWCCNY Sundaes on Mondays at Vickie's Ice Cream in Liverpool, NY At the corner of Old Liverpool road & Electronics parkway

August 26-28th Empire VW camping at Westcott beach State park, near Sackets Harbor, NY Where 20+ VWs have taken the beach loop (and spilled over onto back loops) With having to make reservations on Thanksgiving & black Friday to ensure a large enough group of consecutive VW sites along the water. * If you're not camping, Consider a day trip up and stop by to enjoy the beach and some VW commerarderie.

Sat Sept 3rd annual VW BONFIRE at Kevin's house, Join us at dusk for the lighting ceremony and stay to help toss the VW show "class Stanchions" on the blaze. Over nighting in a camper is allowed. Address: 1560 Clark Hollow Rd. Lafayette, NY Directions: *Fast & furious: I-81 to Lafayette exit. Right onto Rt20 thru town down the BIG hill and look for Clark hollow at the bottom by the creek Right onto Clark hollow (headed south) apprx 2.5 miles look for VWs *Slow and methodical: Take Jamesville rd past Jamesville reservoir to Rt20 Left onto Rt20 for a few hundred feet, Right onto Clark hollow rd for 2.5miles. house on Left.

Bonfire is Backed up the next day with a VW Flotilla at VWCCNY members Bill &Kris Waelder's place on Little York lake. Between Tully & Cortland

*New for 2011 Sun Sept 4th VWCCNY canoe/kayak & BBQ at Bill & Kris's house. (10am paddling start, with a 1-2pm BBQ on the lake shore) Even If you don't have a boat, you're still more than welcomed to come for the lake fun and BBQ. *Parking is tight at the lake house, and will be at Dwyer memorial park boat launch, with Boat shuttles across the beautiful kettle, Glacial formed Little York lake. Call 315-247-4543 to let us know you're coming & approx time, also call when you arrive for a shuttle boat pickup. *childrens floatation devices are available on the shuttle boat.

Nice paddling & Great fishing http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/60205.html For the Brave & adventurous, the paddle will cross under I-81 to Goodale lake. ** please give a heads-up if you are thinking of coming, it would be GREATLY appreciated to know how/when to put on the burgers & dogs.

Directions (follow signs for Cortland Repertory Theater) http://tinyurl.com/VWCCNY-Dwyer-park-map *Fast and Furious: I-81 to Preble Exit, South on Route 281 to Dwyer park just on north end of Little York. *Slow and methodical: Rt 11 from Nedrow thru LaFayette to Tully, Continue across intersection onto Rt281 Follow thru Preble to Dwyer park just on north end of Little York. Call 315-247-4543 for shuttle arrangements Also easy access from points east & west via Rt80 or Rt20 to Tully, NY

Sept 9-10 Empire VW camping club at Mofitt beach DEC campground near Speculator, NY in the southern ADKs http://www.google.com/search?q=moffitt+beach Sites being booked are in the #220 vicinity. And we hope to have a great Autumn ADK weekend for canoeing on Sacandaga lake (Not the Great one) *this was a move from Greenlakes camping venue as there was less than adequate enthusiasm for that location. Unfortunately this cancels the Green lakes Frisbee golf that weekend.. I'm not sure if we'll find a date to reschedule that to at this time.

Mon Sept 12th (6-9pm) VWCCNY Monthly meeting Denny's in North Syracuse

(*NEW) Sat Sept 17th VW Of Rome, (11-2?) VWCCNY open house http://www.vwofrome.com/ An Autumn afternoon at Rome VW for Food, Fun and music Bring your classic VW out for a Cruise and enjoy Rome VWs open house hospitality. Right on Rt 69 on the North side of Rome, NY. (time & events are still being worked out, updates by the Sept VW mtg) There'll be photo Opportunities and local TV spot to highlight the classic VWs is planned. We're hoping the 2012 NEW BEETLE will be on hand for test drives and sales. But they will have the new GLI & Passat models on hand.

Sept 23-24-25 Annual Westies @ Watkins Glen, VW camping and Track event. http://www.empirevwcamping.org/Watkins/ Come out for the 10th annual VW campout in the beautiful Fingerlakes during fall harvest time. The colors on the leaves are complimented by the scent of Grapes on the lake air. No Reservations required, come to the Watkins glen state park & scout out a site in the [Onondaga loop] Sunday is the running of the VWs on The Glen, when 50+ VWs take to the track with slow and deliberate precision. Well 55mph is quite fast for a fully loaded camper with pets, pots, pans and bikes off the back. Sunday Sept 25th is open to any/all VWs who want to come down for the day trip and Run on The Glen. *Tix must be pre-purchased in Watkins Glen at the Track store PRIOR to arriving at the Track gates for the 11am Run.

Sat Oct 1st Annual VWCCNY APPLE-UMPKIN fall VW cruise 2009- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6OWavQ5ruc Take your classic VW out apple & pumpkin picking. Enjoy a parade of dozen's of other classic VWs as the route snakes thru the foothills south of Syracuse, NY Gathering at Webster's pond & feed the ducks& geese, Then a twisting route south to Beak & Skiff apple orchards to pick fresh harvest apples and enjoy apple fritters. Next stop is a short run to pick $2ea pumpkins in Navarino with a Dairy farm calf viewing & petting area for kids. Followed by a twisty run down Cedarvale road, known as 13curves. Running thru a foliage lined stream valley. Ending at Boom Boom Mex Mex, easily our favorite Mexican fare with family style dining. *some will continue the day at Fairmount Glen mini-golf, one of the oldest remaining mini-golf venues.

Oct 1st thru Oct 9th VW Fall Foliage tour NY, VT, NH & Mass An ambitious venture, but what's a better way to view the splendid fall foliage of the new England states Than a drive thru to New Hampshire's White Mountains. A week long trip with camping in VT's Green mtns, New Hampshire's lakes & Mtns regions Including Gondola rides to the top of 3 mtns, 2 scenic Train excursions, 2-3 Zipline rides thru the canopy and over rivers. And the beauty of NH's Kancamagus National Scenic highway, a Mtn coaster or 2 and hikes thru Beautiful Franconia Notch. Ending with the possibility of a group of NY VWs attending the annual Oct 9th VW Show (Transporterfest) in Brookline, Mass At the site of the Museum of Transportation. http://www.stanagon.com/#!transporterfest More about the unique museum & collection here: http://www.larzanderson.org

The plans for this trip have been in a constant state of adjustment since this was initially proposed last fall. With the change of date for Westies @ Watkins and the Annual VWCCNY Apple_Umpkin cruise trying to fit in. At our discretion we'll be departing immediately from the Apple-umpkin cruise for Bennington, VT for the 1st nights camp Or leave early Sunday for the long drive from NY to NH. Once in NH the day to day distances gets very short to accommodate lots of activities. Please contact me Dan@vwccny.com<mailto:Dan@vwccny.com> at anytime if you are considering this tour or route.. *The route and daily itinerary is still being worked out and may/will change at any point till the very day of travel & camping. Sat Oct 1st depart Syracuse for camp in Bennignton, VT area. - Hemmings museum, Bennington monument Sun Oct 2nd Visit Bennington, VT and travel to Laconia, NH area - Lake Winnie scenic railroad, castle in clouds Mon Oct 3rd Weirs beach to N.Woodstock, NH area - Loon Mtn zipline, lost river boulder caves Tues Oct 4th Take the Kancamagus scenic highway to Conway, NH shopping, sightseeing Weds Oct 5th 5hr Dome car train excursion from N Conway, NH Thurs Oct 6th Crawford Notch area - Wildcat Zip-line, Fri Oct 7th Franconia Notch area, Cannon Mtn ariel tram, Franconia notch gorge. Sat Oct 8th head to Brookline, Ma for overnight T-fest camping Sun Oct 9th Brookline, MA Transporterfest - head back to NY

Post VW show pics. The NEW onsite VW Group camping was a great success with ~20 VWs participating. Not bad for such short notice, and there's room for 50+ so plenty of room to grow for 2012.

Images from the 8th annual Salt City VW show are posted up at these sites. We're still tallying the data from the event so look for a post-show follow up shortly. If you didn't make it out this year because of Rain, we do understand. Like I had mentioned during the awards portion, I want to THANK all of the volunteers, w/o whom we wouldn't be able to throw such a great VW show And I want to THANK all of the VW participants, because without them we wouldn't have such a good reason to throw a great VW show.

Barletta Photography: http://barlettaphotography.smugmug.com/Cars-Planes-Trains/VW-Club Susan's Photobucket page: http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/stshsk/2011%20VWCCNY%20CAR%20SHOW/?albumview=slideshow Bill's images on our VWCCNY yahoo page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VWCCNY/photos/recent/list Phil'S Limbobus.org pics: http://www.limbobus.org/gallery2/v/saltvw2011/

We sold out of food, and have only about ~20 event shirts of various sies (colors) left available. Shirt Mail orders are being taken $15ea incl postal delivery ($17 2xl/3xl) contact Dosteven@syr.edu<mailto:Dosteven@syr.edu> for info.