Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:52:24 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Minimum spares kit. Was: Alternator Brushes Wore Out Pretty
              Darn Quick

If you look at the German sales listings you often see: "Der Bus ist lückenlos Scheckheft gepflegt" Which means that the seller is going to hand over a complete maintenence log book with every VW recommended procedure performed at the right milage. It is hard to sell a bus or any vehicle without a log book. How many buyers look for that in North America? The wife's Toyota was bought from a small used car dealer who bought it on an auction. No idea what the previous owner did. Even brand name dealers we visited wouldn't provide maintenance records. Yet, the best "spare part" to carry might be the log book, and make sure all specified maintenance is done, note any oddities in handling, noise or whatever during driving so they get fixed before the next big trip and aren't forgotten until the bus stops. My dad has a background in aerospace. In the 20 years I lived at home we had exactly one mechanical issue on the road (leaking rear brake line). I guess in aviation you get it imprinted to do the maintenance *before* takeoff. I'm not nearly as vigilant, but I did redo almost everything mechanical on my '82 Westy in 1999. After that it ran flawlessly for a decade. Now it is time for work again. (If someone did statistics on the list they might find a bump in my posting frequency 10 years ago and another one now...) Martin (and '82 Westy "Poppie") ----- Original Message ----- From: mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Cc: Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:42:45 PM Subject: Re: Minimum spares kit. Was: Alternator Brushes Wore Out Pretty Darn Quick Too tedious of a topic to cover fully. What all to carry largely depends on how the vehicle is going to be used and then how capable the owner is of determining what is wrong and fixing it with parts on-board. I carry stuff that most people don't and I wouldn't expect very many others to follow my lead. It is not that I worry so much about actually needing them as that I realize I could be greatly delayed in obtaining them if they were needed while I was in a remote spot. Most of them cost so little if purchased in advance that I just consider it a low cost insurance policy to have them along. Since I do all my own work anyway and have a lifetime commitment to multiple Vanagon ownership they will get used someday. While decent maintenance is requirement number one, I think most Vanagons should carry a few specific items that are well known common and/or abrupt failure points. I think all regular Vanagon drivers should know how to install them too. headlight switch ignition switch regulator/brush assembly for alternator belt for water pump/alternator fuel filter ECU, tested Also should have for traveling: volt meter 6 feet of #12 red wire 6 feet of #12 black wire 4 each of crimp on insulated ends, blue color, 1/4" male spade, 1/4" female spade, 5/16" ring, butt splices inline ATC fuse holder and 15 amp fuses The list has no real end but this is a start. Tools are needed for most of the parts to be of much use. Mark mcneely4@cox.net wrote: > so, mark, what is your list of the must, or at least really should carry items?  ......................