Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:11:53 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van Died @ 70 MPH. Why? (Jetta conversion)
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> but you could sure improve your fuel hose installation. > Even run them through heat-shielding fleix-metal air hose perhaps.

Google didn't show results on "fleix-metal" but will look into flexible metal air hose.

One thought is to make the box (what I've been calling "tub" or "tubbed") on engine cover wider. Create a few inches between fuel hoses and tub to allow more air flow around fuel hoses. Or just tilt the engine to 50* as was originally suggested to me some years back. < grin > .

> consider fuel brand, how much ethanol was in it, grade, etc. > Andy water in the fuel ? > few techs consider the fuel itself very much, is my impression.

I purchase fuel from Chevron almost all the time. This is what was put in prior to the event. Of note, after pulling over for lunch, the same no start happened. I opened the engine bay, had a quick look at things, let it cool, it started. Also of possible note, ever since I've had the engine running reliably, on hot days, engine up to temp, left sitting while shopping or whatever, it will always hunt up/down for idle. Lately it's been idling really low until it settles.

> and.. > MIL coming on on steep grades when it's hot .. > that's noteworthy. > and codes stored ?

Just the usual codes: VSS, (none is installed), ECT sensor (has always done this), RPM sensor (normal says Bentley as engine isn't running)

> to hot air intake .. > possible...but I can't go there too much. > many engines draw their air from the engine compartment. > is there a temp sensor in the air flow meter  ? .. > ( vanagon digijet and digifant have one ..though it's never ever thought > about )

There is an (IAT) intake air sensor on the manifold.

> you could drive it with a fuel pressure guage on it ..

This is something I've never checked; fuel pressure. I should do this stat.

> the last vanagon that I worked on that had intermittant huge loss of power.. > like would barely go at idle speed.. > driving with fuel pressure gauge showed immediately, that when it was doing > it, fuel pressure was like 10 psi rather than the 30 or so that's normal. > that one btw...was in the winter..was a compbo of water in gas, weak fuel > pump, and needed a new fuel filter too. > mil on going up a steep hill.. > I'd keep thinking about that. Get codes if possible.

Things to think about. I even considered that maybe the fuel outlet on my older style tank wasn't large enough for high (engine) speed fuel consumption. But I don't think that's the case. If I had simply backed off the speed, things would have corrected themselves if it was only the tank outlet ID at fault.

Neil.

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly  http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"  http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines