Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:38:16 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van Died @ 70 MPH. Why? (Jetta conversion)
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote:

> hi Neil, > not sure if you really mean this .. > you wrote - > I'm sure it wasn't just to keep the engine under the > lid that they did the Diesel the way they did. " > > I'd say it sure is ! > it's not that good to lay an engine over .. > oil pan is wider/shallower, rather than deeper..which is preferred, for one > thing.

I see your point. I guess I'm thinking is that VW wouldn't have made an engine lid like I (and others) have. Like VW would have left more room between the box and the engine. I "cut" mine kind of close.

> there's a huge amount of turbulence going on the engine compartment, not > static air at all, not even slightly, at say ..50 mph. or even at 30 mph.

Maybe I'm "seeing" things wrong in terms of air flow, but I just can't see much, if any, air flowing around the parts "contained" in the box I made. If I'm not mistaken, in terms of the 15* swaps, it seems most swappers have done a 1.8 Digifant. It has a much smaller intake. That ABA crossflow intake takes up a lot of space. I haven't seen much documentation on the swap I did so hard for me to know whether or not I've created a dead zone for air flow.

But then who am I to disagree with a much more experienced person such as yourself! :)

A thermometer of some kind (Jim Akiba has done this IIRC) on the engine lid will tell me more.

> drive it with no engine cover as a test.. > especially if you can make it do it with engine cover on .. > like on 'the right hill.' > then try no engine cover. > I have never ever heard of such an issue with an upright inline four engine > installation.

Good idea. Thanks.

I've driven with the lid off before. Not an enviable task in hot weather, but for the sake of diagnosing and possibly R&D for the next guy, why not do it again! ;)

> hope about checking for codes since the MIL came on ???

I've checked the codes many times. Consistently I get:

VSS, ECT.

VSS not installed. ECT? Wires from ECU connector to ECT sensor are ok. Swapped sensors, no change. In terms of the wiring harness itself, back when I was adapting it to the Vanagon, I noticed, and thought about a lot, a note in Bentley regarding "California only", "non-California", or "all" models up to or from 9/28/93 (My donor harness was from a '93) showing + to pin 3 of CMP sensor on distributor either came from pin 1 of throttle position sensor, or from the + buss of the FI's. (via ECU power relay ign. on + wire). But I think all that is fine as wires to/from the TPS and CMP check out and I can't see how that would affect the ECT sensor. Plus the engine basically runs fine.

Meh. ;)

Neil.

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly  http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"  http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines