Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:56:08 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: '84 Coolant pipes question
Comments: To: Kevin Gilbert <kggilbert@MYACTV.NET>

several vendors sell stainless steel replacement pipes. I recommend the type that come in two sections.. the forward half, and the rear half, joined by a silicone hose in the middle often. in the 300 to 400 dollar range usually.

Sometimes the original steel ones last nicely. If you see any real rust bubbles on the outside of the pipes.. often there is a whole starting in the pipe under that rust bubble.

the worst spots are usually the low spots, and towards the rear of the van. if it's just surface rust . they are easily cleaned up and treated so they won't rust for a long, long time.

getting them out of the van ..the whole full-length pipe ...that's a not fun big job.

since the rear havles are what wear the most.. at times I have cut the pipes just aft of the gas tank.... and rebuilt the rear halves only, Connecting the halves with good hose. that way you can always work on the rear halves without removing the gas tank or anything like that.

scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Gilbert" <kggilbert@MYACTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2011 12:51 PM Subject: '84 Coolant pipes question