Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:45:01 -0700
From:         David Vickery <david_vickery@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator lighting
Comments: To: Leonard Sitongia <sitongia@ONEBEAM.NET>

Leonard, sounds like you fridge is acting fairly 'normal' to me. When you hold down the gas, you flood the chamber very easily. If it is lit you have to hold it down for a while for it to stay lit. But if it isn't lit, you are flooding the crap out of the chamber.

Best thing to do, and believe me you will find this immensely helpful, is to get a digital voltmeter and set it to millivolts and connect one lead to the one spade lead under the sink (doesn't matter which, reading will be negative if you get it 'wrong'). It is the single lead that illuminates the led on the panel. The other lead goes to ground. I stick it in the metal channel in back of the passenger seat track. It stays by itself and gets a good ground. On the lead under the sink, I found it helpful to add a female spade connector that I can just plug the voltmeter lead into. That way I know I have good connections and my hands are free. Sounds like a hassle right, but it is totally worth it.

What this does for you is give immediate feedback on when the pilot is lit and immediately when it goes out. The LED does this but so slowly and with a weak light, that you can't really tell instantly what is happening. With the voltmeter attached, you will learn a lot about how your fridge 'likes to be lit' as many people seem to have a different ritual that works.

If it stays lit for a few minutes at most, it shouldn't go out again. Convection from heat expells the exhaust and draws in fresh air. I found on mine as little as 15 minutes running on DC or AC will get that convection process going and allow the fridge to light on one or 2 clicks without ever needing to use the stupid, almost useless pumper.

If you hear a big boom, its a good indicator that you have slightly flooded it. If you hear nothing, most likely it is very flooded. A trick there is to let go of the gas bipass and pump it a lot and every 5 or 10 pumps, click the igniter. When you hear it go boom again, you are getting close to clearing the chamber. Pump it a little bit more, then give it gas while you ignite it immediately. But if you connect up the voltmeter, you won't need to do that, because you probably won't flood it.

Ideally, on a perfect fridge you shouldn't have to do that, but I found it super helpful in diagnosis and also for routine starting. The very second it lights, the millivolt reader steadily climbs. When it hits 1 millivolt on mine, the magnetic gas shutoff allows gas to keep flowing. But I usually hold it down a little bit longer. For the first few minutes I keep and eye on the millivolt reading to make sure the flame doesn't go out.