Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Aug 2011 17:18:21 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Minimum spares kit. Was: Alternator Brushes Wore Out Pretty
              Darn Quick
Comments: To: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca>

I had a real tendency to carry way too many spares.

Here's a before and after of paring down:

https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/MiscVanagonWestyPics#5387387355555099026

Like I really didn't need the extra throttle body. ;) I still tend to carry too much stuff, but there are times when I add something to my rig or fiddle with things. Nice to have the extra stuff for that. If I had an SO and/or kids, I wouldn't have time for that kind of thing while on the road!

What one carries depends on the engine too. In terms of a minimum, I carry spares for parts that when failed, would cause a no start situation:

Ones shared with WBX:

starter (this one could be debatable but it would depend on the situation) ign. switch Distributor, cap/rotor, tension lead to/from coil. fuel pump alt/water pump belt coil wires/tape/various connectors etc. gasket material

I suspect I really should carry a water pump and ECU too. There's probably things I've forgotten

Neil.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I also ask: How many spares should one really carry? Wife drives Toyota with no clue what to do if it stops... So do 99% of others whether they drive a car or RV. > > I used to have spares and tools filling the whole storage under the bench, but with a growing family there's need for the wife and kid's stuff too! >

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly  http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"  http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines