Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:18:53 -0600
From:         Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: clamps for cv boots, ridged washers for cv bolts

> > Anyway--the cvs boots I have are the kind where the big end just bolts on. > Anyone have a recommendation for the small end of the boot? I had to > switch axles because I'm also doing the AT->MT conversion on this van and > the AT axels are different. At least one of the 8 boots was on with a zip > tie. I didn't see any clamps specifically for this at my FLAPS so I thought > I would ask the list. > > Also, the place I had do it when I first bought the van apparently didn't > put the little washers on the cv bolts (the wide, two-per-bolt, washer-like > things were there, however, I'm just talking about the circular ones). I > have only put a couple of bolts in on each side (just enough to determine > the left-right placement of the engine in the van), using the washers > scavenged from my MT donor van. I noticed that the washers are specialized, > with little diagonal grooves or ridges on them, which makes me wonder if > they are important, and what the purpose of those grooves are.

The washers are serrated belleville, and are originally dished to create a stronger "clamp" when the CV bolt is torqued. I think you can get them at McMaster-Carr. I think another good mfg'er of these washers is Schnoor. A resource for the schnoor: http://www.metricmcc.com/

If you cant find a CV boot clamp, use heavy safety wire as a clamp. I put 2 of them on my last CV repair in the absence of a proper clamp .... truth-be-told, I also used 2 metal coat hanger wires on another boot and it is surprisingly holding up nicely. The biggest difference with these Vanagon CV's and the CV's on other vehicles, is when we start doing engine conversions, larger wheels/tires, which all increase the axle-to-transaxle angles and that puts more "resting" angle on the axle, and when we go over bumps, these angles increase and put more strain on the boot. The CV end of the boot stays attached to the CV, while the axle path pulls the middle of the other end of the boot away from the CV end .... constantly. bob ... I've already tried various sizes of zip ties for this purpose and they do not work at all, at least on my van.