Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Sep 2011 14:25:59 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jr.arnott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Catherine Creek ReUnion - 2nd notice

One week from today, volks will be waking in the trees, listening to the gentle murmur of the water and greeting old and new friends. That's right! Six days until the 'official' start of WetWesties' oldest gathering, The ReUnion at Catherine Creek in Union, OR.

Some volks drive all day, twice, to visit this gathering. Many, year after year. There must be a reason (and I'm sure it's not MY dazzling personality.) And this year's special! This will be our fifteenth annual meet.

History: Fifteen years ago, a couple guys from Eugene, OR on the Vanagon List (http://gerry.vanagon.com ) were discussing getting together to go camping in "eastern Oregon." Living in eastern Oregon, I followed the discussion closely. Actually meeting Internet friends was a rare and precious opportunity.

After a few weeks (it was probably days, but 'weeks' sounds better) of discussion they agreed on a location. They were going to go to.... Bend. (If you're not from around this part of the world, Google Maps will put this into perspective.) From 'eastern Oregon,' it's further to Bend than it is from Eugene to Bend. So.... I invited them to come see what 'eastern Oregon' really looks like. Surprisingly, they did.

Ten buses showed up. Eight of 'em:<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D-JdvNTW0EeOK3e658iRDQ?feat=directlink > Five of their owners and one of the buses still show up. Fifteen years later. See that gray bay? That bus has been to every ReUnion.

So.... Come see why so many volks drive hundreds (some, thousands) of miles to hang with a few friends. See why volks start showing up on Tuesday for a Friday through Sunday gathering.

And thank you all for making WetWesties the incredible society that it has become!

Jim & Lisa Arnott Union, OR

Details:

The Fifteenth Catherine Creek Annual WetWesties ReUnion is on for September 9-11 in the original WetWesties Campground, Catherine Creek State Park, eight miles east of Union OR.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_17.php

They now have a link to obtain driving directions!

Fifteenth Annual WetWesties ReUnion September 9-11 Catherine Creek State Park Union, OR $10.00/night/bus. All excess funds will be donated to The Pay it Forward Fund to help bus drivers in need. http://roadhaus.com/PIF.html

We're permitted for and have claimed 16 sites. (All campsites from the lower "comfort station" except the ADA site to the top of the park and Bev's spot.) As always, we'll manage to fit everyone in. <smile> Not bad for a park that one can't "reserve." ( A shout out to Oregon Parks and Recreation Department's Blue Mountain District for their assistance every year. We couldn't continue this gathering without their cooperation.)

Potluck: If you haven't done a Gathering before, one of the common questions is, "How much food do I bring?" Bring enough for your group and a couple friends. There is NEVER a shortage of food! Bring a main course OR a desert OR bread OR whatever you would like to share. Bring YOUR comfort food.

Amenities:

Fuel, propane & ice in Union Decent grocery store in Union (great meat market for the carnivores) Supermarket in La Grande (Safeway, Albertsons, Wal Mart) NAPA in La Grande. (open seven days, short hours on Sunday)

It's a long drive for a lot of folks, but this spot is so special that visiting it just ONE TIME brought about the creation of a whole society just for folks who use their VW (and other) campers.