Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Sep 2011 08:02:08 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator lighting
Comments: To: Leonard Sitongia <sitongia@onebeam.net>

This is not a constructive or instructive reply, but rather an observatory reply....No, Scott...not Observatory like Palomar or Mt. Wilson..for star-gazing, but an anecdotal observation of what happens with my Dometic fridge..

Mine works. Dependably, for the most part, but without a predictable sequence of behavior. Mine sometimes requires lots of patience to get lit but not always.. Sometimes it fires up and stay lit right off... No logic to why or when. When it is being stubborn about lighting and staying lit...I think..."This is it, the time it just won't work"....but if I persist, it always has, so far. It may help if that side of the van is in the sun when lighting the flame...I think that may start the chimney drawing a little better...probably my imagination....I shall have to consult my vanagon-specific Ouija Board...

I have cleaned everything. It is just 'cantankerous' and unpredictable. Better than the other vehicles that we own with Dometics, however.

Once lit, I can usually drive a thousand miles without losing the flame. But not always. Sometimes it blows out.. Sometimes, rarely, it even goes off when the van is just parked.

Once lit and running the Dometic I have works very well indeed. It keeps stuff well and lasts about 3 weeks, full time, on a 5 gallon portable tank. These just seem to be 'fussy' fridges. I have never encountered one that behaved. (I've owned or been around about half a dozen)

Don Hanson