Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:19:53 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Hall Effect Sensor alternatives
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

My Hall Sender is exactly as described. The plastic mount has cracked to pieces, yet the electrical connections are intact. But it's only a matter of time before the thing gives up the ghost completely. Replacement units are expensive - costing from $125 to $150. That's pretty pricey when it usually only the plastic support material that fails. I agree - there should be a better solution.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 9/4/2011 8:35 AM, Jim Felder wrote: > I was wondering after reading about John's search for an affordable hall > effect sensor what other people had done. Our > OEM sensors are an awfully expensive part to replace something that there > are dozens of under my fingers as I type. > > This from the renown tencentlife on another discussion group: > > "The Hall unit in the Vanagon diz is only unique in its mounting and the > output connector, but the sensor head itself could be replaced, or so I have > been told, with an off-the-shelf pickup adapted to the mounting base and > connector, which if true makes it going NLA not a big deal at all." > > So, if you concocted your own connector and a mounting base (these could be > cast in resin or—are you listening John—made of ceramic) with a cheap sensor > glued in. It may be possible to remove a vanagon sensor from crumbling > plastic and glue it into such a mounting base. > > Anybody smarter than me who wants to figure out a cheap sensor that could be > used? > > Jim > >