Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Sep 2011 13:24:33 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Another AC question
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>

I have just restored my AC system after it had been out of service and with hoses open for several years, Not knowing anything about AC, I worked as the go-fer for a friend who is a mechanic - while he performed and directed the work. Because the system had been open - the following procedure was followed -

The compressor was missing - so that was no worry on the setup - a new compressor was to be installed.

The receiver dryer was removed, and the expansion valve was replaced. New seals were installed at all the connections. The system was then flushed first with methanol then with about two quarts of a citrus based AC system cleaner. A new receiver dryer and the new compressor was installed. A vacuum check was pulled and held for 1 hour. The system was serviced with PAG 100 AC oil, and then with R-134a. The temps dropped below 60 in a while - but I don't know how low it might have gone. Didn't test it to the max. But it sure cools well now. I learned a great deal from the experience, and would not be afraid to tackle my own AC servicing from now on.

If yu have made the mistake of putting water in the system, yoiu most likely have killed the AC compressor and the receiver dryer. You need to get all that moisture out of there, The quick way to reduce it to a few molecules residual water is to use the methanol. It is highly hygroscopic, and picks up water readily, much the way alcohol products in your gas tank does it. Once flushed with the alcohol, do it again with a bonifide AC system cleaner. Replace the receiver dryer and maybe the AC compressor, then put in new refrigerant oil.

Good luck on this.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 9/4/2011 10:46 AM, Karl Wolz wrote: > '85 Westy with 2.1L, using R-12 > > Only blowing around 80 degrees (better than 112, but not by much), mechanic > says 300lbs high side pressure and only about 10 lbs low side. Says he > suspects a blockage "somewhere". He drained the R12 and blew through the > condenser - says that's clear. > > Due to my ingnorance of things AC, the hoses were initially hooked up > backwards at the compressor. Mech says running the system in reverse may > have damaged the receiver/dryer, causing these symptoms. Last night I > pulled out the expansion valve and am able to blow through it. AC parts guy > says that means little, as it could be locked open or closed (this means > little or nothing to me [I feel like Rocket with this series of questions]). > > I bought brass fittings last night with which to hook up a garden hose to > the system (sans compressor& receiver/dryer) to hopefully flow out any crud > hiding in the system, with the logic that any water inside will be boiled > off when a vacuum is pulled prior to recharging. Anyone care to comment on > the wisdom of this procedure? > > Hoping for cooler air, > > Karl Wolz > >