Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Sep 2011 22:18:07 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake Fade
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

OK, I am not aware of what pad compounds are available for Vanagons so I could be suggesting something impossible....but if vanagons are like many other vehicles when it comes to pads....there are a variety of pads available. Many German vehicles interchange the pads from make to make also. Google up the coefficient of friction for brake pads. Read up on it some and then choose a grippy set of pads for your vanagon if you are having doubts when trying to stop it. The difference is remarkable between pad compounds and how they stop...Yes, you may have to replace a soft compound more often. But a softer compound will stop you much quicker and it will slow you down with less brake application time....so it won't probably get as hot as a hard pad that has to be engaged with lots of force almost all the way down a hill...leaving no time for the rotors to cool.

All this is a 'balancing act' and since I have not encountered brake fade with my vanagon, despite repeated trips through the High Sierras with big loads....I can only relate from previous experiences in a general way...not Vanagon -specific. There may be few pad compounds available for the vanagon, but I think there should be a few options. Choose the friction pads and your braking will improve..

Actually, there are two types of brake fade...one type...probably what the OP is seeing...is when the rotors get really hot from continuous brake application, they heat above the temperature the pad's compound is designed to work at....the pads are hotter than is optimum, less friction is created, so you have to push harder on the pedal for longer, creating even more heat....Softer pads will stop this. The other fade is cause when the brakes, rotors and calipers get really hot and cause the water in the brake fluid to turn to steam....This is the classic...."No Brakes!" feeling...when the pedal feels a little soft and quickly becomes a LOT soft and goes to the floor...This fade will go away when the brakes cool and the pedal will come back to normal...This is why we change our brake fluid, get fresh in there without any moisture that can turn to steam.. .