Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Sep 2011 15:05:29 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Needed: Coolant Flange for 84 Vanagon.
Comments: To: aaron feldstein <aaronfeldstein@YAHOO.COM>

hi Aaron, I have perhaps 10 1.9 waterboxer engines. I know them intimately. in my mind there are 3 places on the cooling system, on the engine, where there is a flange. and one other spot some people might call a flange.

so ... Coolant Flange for an 84 vanagon really isn't enough.

You'll notice there is a pipe and hose arrangement going under the crankshaft pulley.. the hose joins a pipe with flange on the left side, on the water pump. with a 'pipe with flange' that goes to the engine block on the right side .. I suspect that is the part you are after.

if your tech described it as '84 vanagon coolant flange' .. unless there is something I'm not thinking of .......that's a very inadequate discription.

though I am not finding that people are very..............what's the word.............'smart' ...or possiobly 'considertate' ....... due to, I supoose, GPS, iphones, and computers, text messaging, IM, etc.... making people dumber actually these days. ..........or whatever in communications these days. It's a crisis actualy.

but I DO have lots and lots of 84 vanagon 1.9 waterboxer cooling system parts. Mountains of them even. And funny thing ! .. written is SO much more clear than by phone ! phone is a crapshoot....whether being able to understand sound-quality wise..or who said what, or people talking over each other etc. If we do do any parts deal here.. you'll see a picture, via email, of 'the actual' part you will be buying. And it won't be something just grabbed.. it'll be very useable, if not restored some even.

since you mention auto trans........and that's what Klaus is working on. Tere are cooling system parts that involve the automatic transmission on Vanagons. the oil cooler at the front of the trans ( coolant hoses go to it .... and there is a special Junction Piece that feeds coolant to those hoses ) .. it could be some of those parts perhaps.

it's a shame really.. almost no shops, and certainy NO dealerships use emails and pictures to communcate with their customers with ..( though I do almost entirely ). If Klaus had sent you a picture .. you know.

scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "aaron feldstein" <aaronfeldstein@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:24 PM Subject: Needed: Coolant Flange for 84 Vanagon.