Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:31:39 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Engine Upgrade
Comments: To: Frank Lee <techedteacher@GMAIL.COM>

I'd keep the thrills to a minimum. I have the same setup in my DoKa, and take my foot out of it on downgrades to keep it around 100kph. I've been told that revving higher than that really cuts into the engine life.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] |On Behalf Of Frank Lee |Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 10:20 AM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: Re: Diesel Engine Upgrade | |Steve, | |We just bought a 1982 Camper (heavier than yours) with Diesel |1.6. (48hp) 103K miles. |Seems to be designed for Max Cruise On Flats of 100 |Kilometers/hr (62mph) | unless its up hill or down. |In the mountains we hang in the slow lane with the loaded |semi-transports, sometimes drive with flashers. |We get a thrill going 71 mph going down hill. Faster seems |unsafe. New proper tires are ordered. | |An upgrade to TDI is definitely in our future. |Are you Interested in obtaining my engine? | |Frank | | |On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Don Hanson |<dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: | |> Go to the stock 1.6 diesel motor. It's pretty expensive and not |> especially strong. Nice and slow, too. But it does smoke. (grin) |> |> Seriously, see if you can find someone with a van with an '82 stock |> vanagon compatable motor...and ask for a ride before you |swap in one. |> You may be surprised. |> |> Don Hanson |> |> On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 8:36 AM, zzyzx <zzyzx9@gmail.com> wrote: |> |> > I am the new proud owner of an 82 diesel pass. van. |> > Currently it has a gas 1.8L 87 GTI. |> > What are some suggestions on the best diesel transplant without |> > involving adapters to the trans. |> > With your suggestions I would hope it includes the make model and |> > year of the donor I'm told it do have all the diesel |components like |> > oil pan etc. |> > |> > Thoughts are appreciated |> > |> > Steve |> > |> |----- |No virus found in this message. |Checked by AVG - www.avg.com |Version: 10.0.1392 / Virus Database: 1520/3870 - Release Date: |09/01/11