Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Sep 2011 16:14:29 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pressure releife valve
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>

rather an unusual statement.. if that is the case ............'more efficient than anything you might ad'...

then I would say .. since a conventional radiator cap ...like the one the diesel vanagon uses .. where the entire rubber sealing 'plate' lifts up to relieve pressure .. surely that style would allow more volume to pass than a waterboxer pressure cap releasing through that small hose nipple connection.

and ....needing a lot of volume to be released quickly.. not an issue at all really in automotive cooling systems.

I'd even say the reverse, since you don't want it releasing pressure really ( other than to keep pressure reduced on hoses and head gaskets ) .....you really only want it to be 'adequate.'

I like the idea of the on-board pressure gauge.. then you REALLY know if pressure is right, and not excessive etc. and it would definitely give early warning .. or could give early warning of impending 'bad stuff.'

You can have for example........ok coolant temp under huge load .. and pressure is getting very high ( say pressure cap stuck closed ) and you would not know it from just looking at the coolant temp gauge, but combined with a Cooling System pressure gauge .. then you'd have very useful information, and could take some action before it's too late.

as stated elsewhere ..I believe in Water Wetter now .. quite a bit. It's on the diesel list that I posted.. I just had a 1,340 mile trip in my 85 Adventuewagon with 2.1 waterboxer engine. the temp needle acted like it was glued in place, it was so consistent. and it was in hot temps too, Baby. I believe in that stuff.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Hargrave" <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:07 AM Subject: Re: Pressure releife valve