Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Sep 2011 15:04:42 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Engine Upgrade
Comments: To: zzyzx <zzyzx9@GMAIL.COM>

decent diesel engine choices are.... ( forget stock 1.6 NA , btw .........not really viable or safe on the highway )

1.6 TD ....that can be pretty vialb.e better though .........................a 1.9 NA is a near 'fitter' and good power for the cost and low complexity.

a very good engine is the ..........AAZ 1.9 TD. that gives a nicely running non-electronic convetional turbo diesel engine. Not bad at all, for a diesel.

and before I forget .. if you have the stock ultra-low geared DK tran.. you MUST get rid of that an install a DK from any air-cooled vanagon, 80 to 83 . it's a bolt-in after swapping over two parts .. and gives decent gearing., like can cruise at 65.

going up from there are TDI engines. a whole other dimenstion of performance, cost, complexity ..and electronics .. though an m-tdi is possible. ( mechanical injection pump )

I suspect your current engine uses CIS fuel injection.. not the nicest to deal with if there is a problem.. other than that .. a 1.8 gas inline four can be a very smooth, long-liffed decent engine in a vanago .. capable of 23ish mpg ... and reasonable power. if your current engine runs well..............and .they are a 'light' around 100hp engine .. the performance of a 1.9 TD with a decently geared 4 speed will be about the same.

that's the short answer so far. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "zzyzx" <zzyzx9@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:36 AM Subject: Diesel Engine Upgrade