Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Sep 2011 15:15:53 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Engine Upgrade
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

sorry... Don must be joking. 48 horse power !!? there are RIDING LAWN MOWERS with more power than that !!

seriously......in a Westy, 48 stock 1.6 NA hp is a hazard .. and they tear themselves up in normal operation since people have to drive them so hard to get them to get anywhere. Seriously not advised !

my advice.............do anything besides put in the stock way-under powered 1.6 NA engine .. and ...the size and weight of the van is just very rough on that poor little engine. I have seen mountains of blown up and worn out ones.

And whether gas or diesel is a whole discussion in itself. I will say .. for a diesel ..... you need to start out with a very good one .......low miles used, or rebuilt.. then take very good care of it. and it has to have enough power to be viable.. like half safe to drive, and not tear itself up pushing the big van because it is really a small *car* engine. VW was super dumb to do that...especially for the US market.

The last 4 diesel vanagons engines I went through ..all trashed inside.. Needed new heads, injection pump rebuilding etc.. The are far more demanding to own and operate successfully than gasoline engines.. 'in general' .. not that gas VW engines don't have their problems too .. they do, but they are not as 'big' usually, the engines are not under nearly as much stress just in normal operation .. and ..btw.. VW's inline , OHC, cast iron block , fours..... are their most robust engines really.. not weak about 'head gaskets' like waterboxers, not tearing themselves up like small vw diesels pushing a big van are, etc.

Don swears by his inline four gasser. Those engines are cheap too. Diesel engines are not cheap at all. ..the difference between 300 or 400 for a inline four gasser, and 2,500 / 2,700 for a used 1.9 TD ....and even some of those need a full going through. Scott www.turbovans.com

Don ..the Tiico cam arrived today, looks good. Thanks ! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:04 AM Subject: Re: Diesel Engine Upgrade