Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Sep 2011 12:08:40 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Refrigerator lighting

Since its Friday, I'll tell the rest of that fridge/eBay story:

About two years ago I started looking for a compressor fridge when I found one on eBay for $250 in Florida. Not too many people were looking for these things at the time and I readied my foolproof-last- second-bid-strategy so I could pounce on this thing. I think my high bid was going to be $375 or something like that. With 6 seconds to go, I dropped in my bid and for some reason my browser stalled and I lost the auction! Someone got it for $275! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I stumbled around in a stupor for the next 3 or 4 hours bemoaning my horrible misfortune. How could this happen to me? I'll never find another one of these at that price...

The next day I open up my eBay and there's the same fridge - relisted! Or so I thought. Same picture and description so I assumed that the buyer had fallen through. I decided to not chance another auction and contacted the seller directly. I asked him to delist the fridge and I would pay him the $250. I told him that I wanted this fridge and that I had screwed up my bid the day before. He wrote back and agreed to delist the fridge and sell it to me, but that this was not the fridge from the day before - he had two!

Sometimes - despite my best efforts to derail my own good fortune - dumb luck prevails.

Jeff in Marin

PS: my best results with this, or any fridge for that matter, are to plug the fridge into AC at least 4 hours before my trip and put COLD items in the fridge at the last minute. A large mass of cold items seems to keep the fridge happy.