Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Sep 2011 09:50:29 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake Fade
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

I fell a bit behind on this tread as I was traveling to Busses By the Buoy. So here I am in Maine with wonderful weather and friends.

Brake technology has pad materials have changed a lot over the year. The move away from asbestos and increased demands have changed a lot of things and brake compalints from noises to vibrations are common for a lot of vehicles.

Brake fade from overheating pads-discs and brake loss due to vaporized fluid are two drastically different events. The latter is most noted by the pedal falling to the floor and usually occurs after the overheating event.

The Vanagon has the be the most sensitive vehicle to proper brake parts I have ever dealt with. They need a high friction co-efficient such as "FF" or even "FG" Most long life type such as "EE" just need too much pedal effort.

At minimum the front pads need to be some type of a metallic pad. A good pad needs to clean, (wear) the rotor to remove oxidation and pad debris. From experience the factory pads work the best overall but they are pricey and may not even be available. They also wear hard on the rotors and they make an awful lot of dust. My next favorite has been the Axxiss "Metal Masters".

The rears are also extremely important as they contribute much more to stopping a rear heavy vehicle than many think. I have written a lot about the rears and there should be stuff in the archives. A problem now is getting good shoes as VW no longer sell them. The original rear shoes used a 6mm thick metallic lining, riveted, with an "FG" friction rating. So far all the shoes I am getting are thinner and do not make full contact with the drum unless the lower shoe mounts are shimmed out. I am looking at some possibilities to get a better shoe set.

As for break in, yes new brakes need to be seated. Both the pad and rotor surface need to wear to each other and smot over to get the most friction possible. New or lathe cut rotors really have lots of voids (that roughness) so there is a lot of space wear there is not friction. Again the pad has to be hard enough to cut through this. New rotors are not lathe cut and just cutting new rotors takes away the benefit of that milled or ground surface finish pattern that new rotors offer.

For brake noises the most common come from the pads moving in the carriers. The pad to rotor interface is not linear. The outer part of the rotor travels much faster than the center. Any variations in the friction interface added to this will set up oscillations that will vibrate the pads and make noises. That is why silencing shims or glue are helpful. Brake grease should be used where the pads have to actually slide on the carriers.

Brake bouncing can be caused by both warped and glazed rotors. Again pad choice will help eliminate this also.

Dennis