Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 2011 09:04:02 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C Duct Sagging-NLA?
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sandwichhead@GMAIL.COM>

Michael,

I have the official duct-work fix installed in one of my vans. My tunnel fell one day and I got in just under the wire on the free dealership fix that the DOT required VW to make. The kit consisted of two plate of aluminum that have a slight offset from on side to the other. It is installed by beginning at the front end of the last tunnel section at the rear. The plate is screwed to the ceiling so the offset in the plate supports the front end of the tunnel. Next, the center section of the tunnel is put in place, then the second plate is screwed to the ceiling, supporting the front end of the center section. Then the front piece of tunnel is installed. And here is where it gets trickey and aggravating. To do the install, the whole front air distribution box with the switches has to be dismounted from the van. The front tunnel piece is lifted into place while the front distribution box is lifted into place. This requires the simultaneous engagement of the rear of the front tunnel piece into the center section, while at the same time the front end of the front tunnel piece engages the opening in the front distribution box. This maneuver requires to people - one i each of the front seats - to get it done. You might be able to do it otherwise, but this was my experience.

I find this conglomeration to be a pita because you cannot remove that tunnel without taking that front distribution box down. On my next tunnel project I just made two 2" wide aluminum straps, placed them over the joints where the tunnel components join, and screwed them to the frame under the headliner. Painted to look like the tunnel of course. It unobtrusive, not noticeable (unless you are a nit-picker) and makes it possible to take down the tunnel without taking down the front air distribution box.

At this point in time - I vote for the strap.

Good luck,

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 9/8/2011 8:31 AM, Michael Sullivan wrote: > I cannot recall the part number for the a/c duct support on my 91GL. Does > anyone have one or is it still available at the stealership? It used to be > $12US. I may just remove the duct. I have a leak somewhere and will put in > some R134A with stop leak and check the hoses. Thanks, Michael. > Michael in San Antonio > 91GL Weekender AT 2.1L 'Gringo' > >