Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Sep 2011 19:39:50 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake Fade
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>

Interesting Tirerack write-up. I got a kick out of this one from Brembo pads..

In a safe area, apply brakes moderately from 60mph to 30mph and then drive approximately 1/2 mile to allow the brakes to cool. Repeat this procedure approximately 30 times.

30 times ! that's a lot of gas and time.

I would say .. yes....do use them medium hard some... and don't stop with hot rotors.. like keep driving and not using brakes much once you've gotten things well warmed up ....get things reasonably cooled down before stopping.

but yes...do 'use them' serveral good times... 30 times sounds like a lot though.

I'd say not really using them semi-hard a number of times at first would not be good. They do need to get 'used' a bit at first for sure.

I forget if your rotors were new, re-surfaced , or used. Tire rack is not giving much hope for used rotors.

fwiw.. I have talked to a professional tire and brake person who 'turnsevery disc, even new right out of the box' .. and aother professional who said- "I put pads on good rotors, and new rotors, I never turn a rotor. "

I always put 'disc brake quite' on the back of the pads.. I use the tiniest bit of copper anti-sieze compound on the edges of the metal part of the pads where they slide in the caliper ..barely any ... and on other parts that move. Very sparingly.

let us know how it goes. I'd shoot the temps of the rear drums to make sure they're working in a healthy manner too.. i'd expect them to be about 1/2 to 2/3rds as hot as the fronts .. say 40 to 60 % of the front temps.

to make sure they are working ......and working about right. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Maglott" <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 6:51 PM Subject: Re: Brake Fade